I Forge Iron

Old (?) tang method

CDNII

18 hours ago, CDNII said:

Well I finished the herb chopper for my grandfather. The handle is pine with oak on the sides, I also added additional pitch prior to final burning on and wiped the excess. Feels sturdy enough for the kitchen to me. Usually when i hear someone talking about pitch as an adhesive its in a dismissive tone or "you could do that but i'll stick with 5 min epoxy", anyway thanks for the learning experience!20180412_180200.thumb.jpg.e0a459a9e5761e93ba94969cbaf5d510.jpg

Very nice tool to look at but likely awkward to use. 

To chop herbs you need a "mezzaluna" ... similar blade, a bit longer with two handles one at each end. You could forge each end of the blade up, to take the two handles rather than having to rivet the support for the handle. 

Just saging, could be a chilli idea for the next herb chopper :) ... 

Well ... better a mezzaluna than a snickersnee in the hands of a lollygag. 

I know I can be a bit of a flibbertigibbet sometimes but at least I tell gardyloo every time before I say my taradiddle. 

Anyway, I better stop this before I start a donnybrook for sending the thread in widdershins so I absquatulate now.

Hooroo

M