I Forge Iron

Trenton Anvil

My husband brought home an old anvil tonight that he got cleaning out an old barn for a friend.  I did a rubbing & found that the trademark is Trenton.  I know nothing about these heavy pieces of steel but I am interested in learning.  At the base on the left side it seems to have a casting of "Z" 150 or "Z" 159.  To the right of that is "A" 41313.  I am assuming the 150/159 is the weight and that the other casting is possibly a serial number.  Any insight that you can give us new endeavor will be greatly appreciated.

Any chance of pictures? I'm sure someone ,will be around to get a year to that serial number.

All I can say is that Trentons are generally great anvils. (I'm a fan of mine)

Give it a good wire wheeling to clean it up, then wipe it with some oil. Don't grind on it.

Early trentons were made in germany. Later ones were made in america. Photos would definitely help identifying where it was made. And tomorrow i will go though anvils in america and see when they moved to america and i will look into the serial numbers.

Oh, we LOVE pictures. The only problem with these is that this is a really nice anvil, and now a whole bunch of us are going to be upset that it's not in use. Come on, Beckie; we all know you don't have enough hobbies! Time to take up blacksmithing!

It's a lovely anvil; it would make a great using anvil; but not so much a collectable anvil: It's a good brand---but not a rare one. It's not particularly old (old for anvils starts about 100 years earlier than that one) It's in quite good shape; but not "mint". The projection on the side of the cutting step means it  was designed for use by a farrier, again not unusual for that time period.

On the other hand 50+ more years in dry storage will not cause any problems with it; so while I hope we could lure y'all over to the dark side of hot steel and hammers. Just y'all keeping in good condition doesn't bother me.

Welcome aboard Beckie, glad to have you. That's a fine old lady, she's seen good work but hasn't been abused. The projection right behind the horn is for pulling clips, meaning she was intended for a farrier's (horse shoer) anvil. If you use a cup brush on a disk grinder (WITH PROPER PROTECTIVE GEAR!!!) to shine her up then preserve against rust with boiled linseed oil or a good paste wax, I like Trewax applied to a warm anvil, forged piece, etc. Anyway, a good finish will keep her looking nice for a long time indoors. 

Keep it in plain sight and talk to us here, we'll convince you of the pure soul deep joy and satisfaction of making steel bend to your will. No joke there are few things feel as good s using tools you make with your own hands even if it's a coat hook. You don't have to be big or muscley accuracy is more important and a woman's aesthetic makes for nice forged steel art.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the encouragement and vote of confidence!  I will continue to read up on this fasciating hobby that you seem to enjoy so much.  I have a friend that is a ferrier (for the black horse troop that goes to all the inaugurations).  His wife welds some creative things from horseshoes!  And another friend who is welds and uses plasma cutters for a living...he has joined a blacksmithing club!  Maybe this funny shaped piece of iron will be mine!!

Oh you GO GIRL! We need more ladysmiths and there is something special about making STEEL move like it was warm modeling clay. Ask your farrier friend to show you a few things, it's quite addictive.

Frosty The Lucky.