I Forge Iron

Samuel Yellin Film

Al Stephens

In 1929 Samuel Yellin was filmed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This film shows the making of the piece that Fred Crist demonstrates and calls "The Yellin Challenge" 

The MMOA in recent emails has acknowledged the existence of the film, but "it is not currently available for viewing" and has no interest in digitizing it for distribution, or viewing.

If anyone has a copy of this film, myself and several others would like to see it, and are interested in it being made available for public viewing. Any ideas, or contacts that could make this happen would be appreciated.

Feel free to PM me if necessary. Thanks Al

Thanks for posting the video, it's good to get to watch pros in action.

Could live with longer run time without the fast frame but that's a mini  gripe. I can tell almost as much listening as I can watching videos with the way cameras over expose the glowy steel. 

Frosty The Lucky.

29 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Could live with longer run time without the fast frame but that's a mini  gripe.

If you click the Settings icon (little gear in the lower right), you can change the playback speed. Since most of this is at double-speed, setting it to play at half-speed puts it back at normal.

18 hours ago, PVF Al said:

The MMOA in recent emails has acknowledged the existence of the film, but "it is not currently available for viewing" and has no interest in digitizing it for distribution, or viewing.

Do you have any information on its catalog number, title, or anything else? I might be able to work a connection or two I have in the museum world (although don't get your hopes up).

I remember reading about Samuel Yellin's daughter or granddaughter in charge of some of his estate and its effects. She or her colleagues may be able to help. I know its a long shot and should be considered as a last result. The patent and trade marks office's copyright office may have the video in their files or archives. And they may be able to help out.

Just some, almost, random thoughts but "Hey you never know"*.

SLAG.

Head Panjandrum of SLAG Industries  L.LC.

* registered trade mark New York State Lottery corporation

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I will look into further. The Yellin site was set up in 2008, and parts of it are still under construction, doesn't look hopeful.  I'll post or PM any new info I get. Al

I have not been abel to locate any catalog numbers yet. However, the film is mentioned , and the piece pictured in, Samuel Yellin Metalworker, written by Jack Andrews, on page 75.

Al

I have managed to find a little more information.  The Smithsonian Institute in their Yellin Collection has 2 films listed. (1) "The Making of Wrought Iron" produced by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (250 ft.), shows an artist sketching a grille and Yellin shaping a grille for a chair. (2) "The Florida Film" (175 ft., ca. 1928), shows examples of Yellin's first work as used in the Singing Tower, Mountain Lake, Florida. I believe the 1st one is what we're looking for. It is a 16mm, black and white, silent, film.

The SI site also refers to them being at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. A search of the SIUC site produced no results. It is my understanding that ABANA does not have a copy of the films. Others are checking with Metal Museum in Memphis, TN.  

Later

Al

• 3 weeks later...

As of yesterday, the Smithsonian Institute, has agreed to start the process to get the films digitized.  Not sure of the cost, or timeline, but it looks like progress is being made to preserve these films. If anybody is within driving distance of DC you can contact SI and make an appoint to view the films. I can provide contact info.

Later

Al

• 3 months later...

JHCC, We are still waiting on SI to give us a price and timeline, but have told them we want to do it.  We have repeatedly emailed those we have been in contact with and the last several have not been replied to. The last time we emailed was 7/24.

Don't know if more people contacting them would help, or hurt. Whats everybody think? We haven't forgot or given up yet.  Al

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting detail: around the 4:23 mark in the first film, you can see that his scrolling tongs have somewhat unusual reins. They’ve been flattened and hollowed, presumably for greater comfort. 

Here’s a detail of that frame:

75B90118-870B-4A31-8617-3D9F21783D65.jpeg