I Forge Iron

Double screw vise

magikk

Hi everyone,I went to the flea market yesterday morning and I got a good deal on a double screw vise.It has 6" jaws and it is locked up tight for now.Guy said he got it out of a scrap pile.I figure on spraying it daily with PB Blaster and hoping I can get it loose. I've  read the older thread on double chain vises and see that it used what is called detachable chain.Does anyone know what size chain.It also looks like the lower screw may be bent but not sure.Hope it is salvageable.Thanks Mike

double screw vise.JPG

I'm no expert on this style, but it looks to me that without the chain in place to drive the lower screw, turning the handle would cause a bind between the upper and lower screws. Trying to force it to turn would lock it up and could bend the screws or break some other component. Should be fairly easy to get a good guess on the needed chain size using the pin diameter and width off of the gears and measuring the distance between the upper and lower gear to calculate the length.

I have 2 of that size vise, it's a Fisher #4 if the jaws are 6" wide.  Yes, the bottom screw is bent, someone ran the top screw too far in before starting the bottom screw.  You have to be careful to start both screws at the same time and keep the rotations matched if there is no chain to keep them indexed.  Try to back out the top screw a little and see if that loosens up the bind on the bottom screw.  With care you can probably get it straight again.

The body of the vise is cast iron (jaws are steel) and the screws are either wrought iron or mild steel, with the cog wheel that would hold the chain being cast iron.  This cog is held on the screw shaft with a thru pin, and sometimes that pin comes loose and binds against the crescent shaped cover part of the casting.  Check to see if the pin is binding on either top or bottom screws.  If it is you can gently drive it back into place with a punch.   

Around here we call the chain "gutter chain" as it was used to pull clean-out paddles thru manure gutters in dairy barns.  

On ebay or to a collector you might get $500 to $1000 for a Fisher that size in good working condition.  

Thanks guys for the info.I figure one just spraying with PB Blaster for a month or so before I mess with it.Nice to know what make and model.Thanks Judson .This was the first one of these I've seen in person and at first didn't realize it was a double screw. The guy wanted $40 and i got him to $30 so I got a great deal.We go to the flea market every Sunday when they are open and very seldom do I ever find anything. So I guess I was due. Thanks Mike