I Forge Iron

Safety share

BlasterJoe

Don’t do what I did! I was bending some spring steel for a fuller around the horn of my anvil and it shot off and hit me. I was squatting in front making sure my bend was even and where I wanted it. I should have been off to the side or using my vise so it was secure. Stupid! Please make sure you stay out of the line of fire and always keep stuff secure. Hot metal hurts

57BB9730-D392-4622-8B82-38A41BD7DF43.jpeg

51A9FB93-FE0D-4ECC-BF04-50752774C76E.jpeg

AYE YI YI! You got both front and back of your neck! How'd you manage that one Joe?

Have you seen the doctor? Aloe gel will help but a little silvadine will make a huge difference. While I cringe at the thought of that much burn on all that tender skin I can't help but be thankful it wasn't so much worse. 

Once you get to feeling better I'd appreciate a better description of what you were doing when it got away from you. 

Get well fast Joe.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's nasty, but it could so easily have been worse hope it heals speedily. Thanks for posting as warning to others.

And yes Frosty I was originally duped into thinking the first pic was the back of Joe's neck too!

I think from the description Joe was crouched down, which means he was effecively forging the metal at face height, had he been stool up, it would likely of glanced of his apron if he had not been sprite enough to side step it, Difficult to be quick on your feet when you're bent over contorted!

Thanks Smoggy, a closer look and it's obvious which way his ear is facing. My bad I should've looked closer before replying. Can I blame it on empathy making me cringing  mightily? That looks like it HURTS!

I've never heard of using egg white  to treat a burn Tubalcain. I'm assuming you treat 1st. degree only this way. Id be pretty concerned with egg white making an effective auger to grow bacteria in an open wound like broken blisters. 

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty. First picture was first day second was second. It’s healing up well. It’s peeling like a tattoo. Did a little burn gel first day then neosporin. 

As to the way it happened I was making a spring fuller. I had the piece that goes in the hardie forged in and needed the large hoop on the back. Both ends were cold and the middle was hot. I was bending the hoop around the horn of my anvil. For some reason I squatted down in front while holding onto the cold ends and started bending. It cooled quickly and I thought I could get that last little bit done before reheat. (Always the wrong thing). I forced the bend and it popped off the taper of the anvil and I saw it coming, through my head back and it got me. 

The pictures look different because I had to shave that night to get the smell of burned hair off my face. It sucked shaving.

Oh man, famous last words, "Just a LITTLE more."  Those might even be more famous than "watch this." Glad it wasn't worse, I've been burned too many times for one boy. I be very VERY careful anymore.

I stopped putting a larger spring bend on spring fullers than necessary to the size of the work. Same with using spring steel. I kept getting into trouble making a large bend so I stopped, I'm a less trouble is better kind of guy. I discovered just using 1/2" rd. stock worked well for spring tools, when they warp out of shape I just heat them and true them back up. We're back into the easier is better thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...

Got lucky today. Was doing a quick 10 second angle grinder wire brush on this holding it my hand with no gloves and it slipped. Just a grazing blow. But when it bit me I thought "you bone head , why did you not put gloves on per your saftey protocol, or better yet, put it in your vise"    I was expecting to see alot worse. Think saftey even on a 10 second job!!

20190406_145021-1.jpg

You got my vote for bone head move of the hour Kevin! Getting a glove caught by a wire wheel is maybe worse than losing meat, a right angle grinder can literally climb your clothing AND remove meat till it's too tangled to keep spinning. :o

I'm really glad it isn't worse but SHEESH MAN!  

Frosty The Lucky.