I Forge Iron

Why the trouble with side blast tuyere?

lyuv

In most side blast forges I see, the tuyere is made of metal. So it must be cooled, which complicates things.

When I built such a forge, I bought a CERAMIC tube for the tuyere. Problem solved. (I added a reinforcing nozzle from refractory cement, to protect it)

Seems too simple and obvious. What am I missing?

My JABOD has a metal pipe for a tuyere, surrounded by adobe. It's doing okay. I've thought of switching to a water-cooled tuyere, but worry sometimes about leaks, freezing, and rust. 

Like hikerjohnson - I'd worry about a ceramic tuyere getting bumped and broken, especially after a couple of months of thermal cycling.

18 hours ago, hikerjohnson said:

I guess the only issue would be sourcing a ceramic tube, and potentially worrying about whacking it with the poker and cracking it.  How is the ceramic tuyere holding up in your forge?

I found that tube in a furnace supply shop (fire bricks ect.), I have no idea what it's intended for. Indeed, at first the end would crack or chip every 2-3 sessions. But once it got the cement nozzle, it holds well (several months now). I even take a hammer and chisel to it to remove clinker (?) buildup.

I just don't understand. In the 3 or so months I've been running my forge, weekends only, my metal tuyere still looks the same as when I installed it. I'm expecting it to last me a year or more. When it does melt away I can get enough pipe to make 3-4 more for $12. 

So why spend more on something that doesn't last as long?

A lot of different methods work.  However, hours with the fire burning is a factor and how hot is that fire.   How many hours a month are you running the fire for forge welding?   

I use the British forge design with a water cooled tuyere, for no other reason then that is what I was taught.  I'm ten years on this tuyere and it's still going well.