I Forge Iron

Post vise base dimension question

HP500

I recently picked up a very nice 50lb Columbian post vise. I don't have a shop, so I need to make it movable so I can move it from the garage to the driveway and back again to use it. I'm going to build the type of stand where you can stand on the bottom base plate very similar to this one

12410579_1094779843899401_4025193357376624910_n.jpg.027fe75a2722d12d359f30cd550c6d7a.jpg.ddfd0623d750f0945f9a15be450a7a19.jpg

I have a piece of 25"x24" x 5/16" plate for the base. Do you think that would be big enough?

I'm curious , has anybody made a mobile base like that and how does it actually work in real life ?

I have a hard time imagining it would be anywhere near stable and solid enough  for all the things I use a post vise for;  bending ,twisting , chisel and punch work,  upsetting bars held lengthwise or vertically in the jaws with a heavy hammer etc.

Beaudry; when was the last time you were able to grab your belt and lift yourself off the ground?  That type of base is based on having the user standing on it and their weight provides the stability. As a portable vise there are some things it won't excel at.

I personally have 1 6.5" vise mounted to a telephone pole mounted 5' into the subsoil and concreted in with a large, thick steel base for the leg to rest on for heavy work; but closer to my forge I have 2 vises mounted on a work bench for less vigorous use.  I'm currently working on a movable large vise that can be set up in the center of the shop on 4" structural sq tubing that inserts into a larger section  concreted into the floor---and concrete another one out in the drive way for when I need to swing a 20' stick!

On 3/5/2018 at 10:09 AM, HP500 said:

I'm not sure.

I do not think building that setup would be wasted effort. It would fill your immediate needs as you progress through your learning curve. Thomas' advice on the mockup is critical to success.

Clamp the vise to a bench with the plate under it, and do not try to keep your feet on the plate. Ignore the plate. Do your feet go off the edge, as you "work"?

Hammering a bend in hot metal may require more distance between you and the work.

I hope this is useful.

Robert Taylor

It was a simple question, has anyone made a base like that ? and how does it work ? The  two foot square of 5/16'' plate seems light for the purpose.

This can be  a difficult and frustrating craft to learn and the learning curve is long. Having a sturdy vise that doesn't bounce or move when you work on it helps a lot to lessen the steepness of that curve . Even if you have to have a moveable and temporary set up because of not having a dedicated shop space ,there are ways you could solidly anchor a vise   to make it much more effective.

The base plate could be held down tight to a wood floor with screws , into a concrete slab  with lag shields , into a dirt floor with a buried block . A brace from the top of the post vise stand to a wall or heavy bench would do a lot to make it rigid . A few minutes work with a wrench or screw gun  to set it up or take it down to clear the way is quick and simple. It's easy to patch the holes if you change your mind or have to vacate the space.

Mocking it up is always a good idea for any new tool. You want to locate the vise with access to either side and front  and some room behind it.  It should be one leg of a work triangle between the forge, anvil and vise with only only a few steps between all three.

My vise base is a 2" thick 24" diameter round with a 10" diameter pipe that the vise mounts to. Around 188# for just the base, and it still moves around under some bending operations, I need to pop some holes in the base so I can drive stakes into the ground.