I Forge Iron

Simple Problem

Hollon

This is really a beginners question, but here it is. I was wondering what the best way to put an angle on a blade, since most of mine (I've only made four knives) seems to just kind of curve down to the edge rather than straight angles. Part of the problem is probably the grinder I'm using which some 50 year old homemade one, that I'm using a plow sharpening wheel I believe.

If I was to wager a guess, you're meaning a convex grind? Like this? (). If you're using a round grinding stone, it's a common problem, although it is a good grind for heavy chopping, and I don't have an answer other than practice and experiment with your stone. Possibly grind along the wheel instead of perpendicular to it to maximize the width of contact. Make sure the tip is pointing towards the rotation though so it doesn't grab and turn the knife into a projectile as that can be very very painful ;). You might also be able to use it for rough grinding and then switch to files and hand stones/sandpaper and hand work it for a flat grind.

One of the problems in using grinders for edges it keeping the angle constant. Usually results in a wavy bevel along the edge. The best thing is to use the grinders to get the blade close, then use a knive-sharpener vise and hones to get the blade set correctly.... a little pricey to buy, but you can make one.... just look at pictures of ones on-line, then make your own....

Funny how every one is missing the simplest and cheapest way to get a flat edge.

Files have been used for centuries, they didn't have Bader B-3 back then, and I didn't have one till a month ago. Even so I still love my files. I can file things and shapes I would never try to get with a power tool

Yes, it was a convex grind that I meant. But the general consensus is use a grinder to rough it out, then use files? I also getting a new grinder that uses a completely circular shaped grinding wheel soon, so that may work better. Also, would a belt sand work in place of files, since thats what I use to get rid of grinding marks anyway?

I googled draw filing, but didn't find much on it. Is it basically just setting a knife flat, and then pulling the file towards you, as you would with a draw knife (well perhaps not that angle). Pictures would help, but I couldn't find one.

if you have the money, invest in a belt grinder. Until then, just use files and/or waterstones.

Google around for draw filing rigs. You just need a vise, piece of wood, and a C clamp. The idea is you clamp the wood into the vise, then clamp the knife to the wood and file it. That way you can put your weight into the file and the knife will hold still.

As for making the bevels flat, that's just where practice comes in. Just make sure you're practicing correctly :)

Well I tried draw filing today, and it seems to be about as fast or faster at smoothing out the blade as the belt sander I have is. Then again the belt sander is something like 5/8 hp with a 1 inch belt.

So thanks to everyone and their suggestions.