I Forge Iron

Tips for 5160 knives and machetes

(M)

17 minutes ago, (M) said:

So what is the benefit to forging blades vs stock removal?

It's lots more fun.  It conserves metal.  Pattern welds and San Mai can be more aesthetic forged (and the original billets need to be forged in any case).

Also, some shapes are more difficult to achieve by pure stock removal (inside curves for example) than a combination of forging and grinding (to the best of my knowledge virtually all blades have at least a bit of stock removal in their manufacture).

I found that if you read knifemakers' websites; their method is always superior!

As to benefits: have you tried to do a stock removal knife from a large ball bearing?  I have always found that forging was a lot more fun for me than grinding.  Also for large historical blades---like swords---stock removal tends to result in much heavier than the originals as doing accurate tapers is a pain in stock removal but tapering every which way is just standard forging practice. (Medieval swords were quite light as heavy is slow and slow is dead on the battlefield. Hollywood and Fantasy books and Video games generally have it totally wrong!)

Every alloy has suggested forging temps: most good handbooks will have forging start and forging end temps given. If you don't have the skills to judge and maintain temperatures you may very well ruin a lot of  expensive stock before you gain them.  Have you read "Introduction to Knifemaking" Sells or "The Complete Bladesmith" Hrisoulas or do you expect that hundreds of pages written by established knife smiths can be exchanged for a couple of website pages or videos on the internet?

43 minutes ago, Latticino said:
1 hour ago, (M) said:

So what is the benefit to forging blades vs stock removal? 

It's lots more fun.  It conserves metal.  Pattern welds and San Mai can be more aesthetic forged (and the original billets need to be forged in any case).

Also, some shapes are more difficult to achieve by pure stock removal (inside curves for example) than a combination of forging and grinding (to the best of my knowledge virtually all blades have at least a bit of stock removal in their manufacture).

Also, forging means less grit and dust floating around the shop and getting in your lungs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...