I Forge Iron

Any idea on weight?

Well, my buddy has decided it would be cheaper to ship it. I tried to tell him that from day one. I got a quote for $280 which beats a trip  anyday. This will be an exercise in patience, like JHCC said either of us senior citizens could kick the bucket any day. Im betting at least a month.

I had an anvil shipped by blacksmith mail,  we waited till one of my students was headed that way on a visit home and he picked it up and  when he returned he left it at my shop.  He tried to pull a fast one as he snuck it into my shop wanting to see how long it would take me to notice another 165# anvil...next time I was there I turned around and saw it and said "where the heck did that come from"---as it had been a couple of months in "shipping"...

It turns out that an ACW Mountain Howitzer pack anvil will fit in a medium flat rate box...I shipped that one out last week. (Now I have to figure out how to get the stand to PA...)

Easy to make a small stake anvil from an old sledge hammer head and some stock for the shaft.   My picture shows me working on one about a decade ago IIRC.  I'm also working on a short shaft one; did the main forging a couple of years ago but had a hiatus due to health issues.  I like to find some of the unusually long sledges to use for the head and then "rivet" them onto the shaft using a tenon forged in the end of the shaft and the eye of the hammer.  You can then weld over the eye if you wish---preheating and following anvil repair instructions...

Hmmm I have a friend with some nice shop equipment. I may want to try forging a 16# sledge head into an anvil top---with a horn and heel and put a stake on it too.

On 1/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Fastenal will ship between stores really inexpensively. I had a K frame for my 74 Duster shipped by Greyhound bus. 

Thanks!  Fastenal quoted me $100 freight.  All I gotta do is get my buddy to put it on a pallet and haul it to their store. 

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my care package Wednesday. Quite a challenge getting it unloaded by myself but well worth it. 

I was dead set on putting it on two 12” x 12” timbers bolted together with allthread and 1” straps but after using it I have decided to leave it on this ugly stand. It is sitting on a 1/2” plate welded to a well casing sitting on an 18” x 32” x 1/2” plate. As solid as if it was bolted into concrete. It is higher than i wanted but is great for my back as I dont have to lean over it. 

I had to wire brush it a bit and give it a bath of Marvel Mystery oil. I welded four loops made from horseshoes to the plate it sits on. Now I can find my hammers and tongs. There is a whole lot more acerage here than on my RR track or sledge hammer head. They are both enjoying their retirement. 

00770164-BF81-4394-A277-ED64840201EA.jpeg