I Forge Iron

Any idea on weight?

A buddy of mine found this today. It was given to him. He doesnt want it but is going to pick it up Monday. He left before he called so he didnt know to look for the weight markings. Anybody care to offer a guess on the weight using a plastic bucket for size comparison?   Thanks

C9719925-C474-4993-98ED-08ADA459AD4E.thumb.jpeg.ee0e2ee8ed07a2a63a9a760e31bf856b.jpeg

My little 90 lb anvil is 8" high. Must allow for difference in shape

A 5 gallon bucket is 17" high give or take.

In that photo the anvil seems to be higher than the bucket. Sure it can be the way the photo is taken from above ... or can be that the bucket is not 5 gallon but 2.5 gallon.

Assuming the bucket is truly a 5 gallon one, that anvil is around 200 lb in my own guesstimate. May be more ... :)

He is gonna pick it up Monday. The guy who gave it to him has a bobcat to load it in his truck. He is supposed to take pictures so i will post them here. We will have a weight then. I told him if it was easier to just leave the stand for easier transport. Now Ive got to bribe one of his relatives to bring it from FL to TN on their next trip north.  

seeing this makes me wonder what size, if any, vulcans got a thicker plat welded on top. or if they simply put the same thickness plate on all anvils from 40 lbs to 300 lbs. 

looks quite large compared to my #9, im going to guess its a 180 lb because no one else has!

200 lbs.  It has collected more dust than dings. The anvil and the vice are a package deal for free. It looks like Im gonna have to do an 811 mile one way trip to South FL to pick it up or he is threatening to paint it and put it on his porch to set a flower pot on. That is a tough call for a hermit who hasnt been over 70 miles from home in the three years since I retired. 

Thanks all for the guesses, everybody that didnt nail it on the head was still in the ballpark. That made for an interesting wait till I got the pictures today. 

B73FC8A8-B6EB-4556-8B63-EB95D967BDA3.jpeg

7BF5D28C-96F3-44FB-B030-BE1648C69561.jpeg

90F32864-6B88-4618-A260-D5AC513DE3C6.jpeg

562FD4F2-9764-44B9-BFF2-F7251BE463A2.jpeg

E1056C35-FAED-4BB0-BFC3-5B1968AC9041.jpeg

Leave it to a blacksmith to use a 5 gallon plastic bucket as a ruler to measure the dimensions and weight of an anvil.

A 200 pound Vulcan anvil and a 406 Reed vise and your still at home? 

Both will fit in the car and save on gas if that is a concern. Take a towel or blanket and cover the anvil and another for the vise so prying eyes do not want to see what you got riding as cargo.  

That anvil has not seen much work at all! I venture it was never used.

Make sure you paint it red and sharpen all the edges ... noooo don't do that ... :)

That is a $500 to $1000 gift (it would be $1500 to 2000 around here)

You may burn 3 tanks of fuel ? mm ... miles ... more like 5 tanks of fuel in your car or truck, what is that $250? ... still a gift ... didn't count your time of course since you say your retired :P

PS

you don't have trucking companies around there? Way cheaper to pay someone to take it to the nearest trucking depot. 

I bought a Bobcat in Naples Florida a few years back and it cost me $500 to put it on a tuck and take it to the port of Huston. 

Got a new grandbaby on the way any day now. I got babysitting duty on a 5 and a 2 yr old when that happens. When that settles i will see about a car rental.  No way will he ship it. He’s been trying to get me to come and visit for years. I think found a way to get me outta the hills. 

Looking at the side view of the face it appears the plate is around 1/8". which seems to be the same thickness as what originally came on my #9. Although you're has the full 1/8" left and im under a 1/16" in places. 

cool anvil for sure, thanks for sharing