I Forge Iron

Trenton 104# what’s it worth

Jeff Tervo

To me and in our area $4.80 a pound is a little steep. If it passed the ring & rebound test $300-350 would be better. We just bought a 106 lb Hay Budden for $200 but that's the exception.

If you will edit your profile to show your location you may be surprised how many members are near you and after we leave this thread we won't remember where you are located.

BTW: welcome to IFI...

Thank you for the response. I was thinking it was kind of high, but I don’t really know anything about blacksmithing either lol. I will update my location for sure!

I’m wanting to get into the trade after watching Forged in Fire. Im sure you guys hear that often from new guys haha.

I started designing a gas forge over the weekend and I have a rendering of the progress so far. Could I post that in another thread to get some feedback?

8 minutes ago, Jeff Tervo said:

Could I post that in another thread to get some feedback?

Absolutely... the sub forum on gas forges is a wealth of information. Some of the guys there are virtual experts in building them. Reading through forges 101 and burners 101 will get you on the road to a good forge. We love pictures, if you haven't already guessed.:)

Trenton anvils are great in my opinion but yeah, that sounds high on the price. You could get started forging with a non traditional anvil for cheap. Take a look through the forum and you will find ways to get forging with something other then the London pattern anvil until you find a better deal " If " you feel you need one after that. 

If the anvil passes the rebound test, and has no hidden damage, buy it.  Remember, if you can haul it, you will save $$.  And what is your time worth.  If this anvil will suit you, buy it.  Trying to save a few bucks now and having to spent lots of time hunting for another is what you also have to consider.

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm betting you could take US$500 to Quad-State and end up with a nicer anvil!

Yeah he probably could, but that would be 10 months away and a 6 hour round trip to boot. I have to agree with the anvilman on this one.

Dave

Nearly 5$ a pound just a bit south of you in Wisconsin is common for craigslist postings. Personally I'd try to offer the guy 400 or 450. But it's a nice anvil so he may not budge off that price and he may even get it if you dont buy it. I see a LOT of 5$/lb anvils on craigslist, the nice ones seem to sell the not so nice ones sit. 

Thanks guys! I messaged the seller last night and he didn’t reply after opening the message. Looks like I’m going to the railroad depot to see if they have any “junk” pieces of track.

I haven’t even started smithing yet and last week I told myself that I didn’t want to spend a ton of money starting out. I guess I saw this anvil and my eyes got big for it haha.

Hello Fellow Manchesteran,

Location creates the value, and anvils are worth what someone pays. Don't get hung up on brands, it's all about performance. Old English manufacturers often don't have a visible trade mark, aka "John Doe's" can have very good rebound. Test it yourself, some pople may call 50% good, rebound is king.

Anvils are overrated, avoid railroad tracks and I beams. It's not the tools that make the craftsman, it's the craftsman that makes the tools. Spend some time on this site reading, many very useable non traditional options.

IF&C, great buy at $2.00 a pound. Many stories of bargains, and I believe most of them. I don't know if many a Smith wouldn't put down their coffee and sprint for that deal. Just over a year ago, I sold an anvil on CL for close to $8.00 a pound ad was up for less than 24 hours.

I would be glad to share a little anvil 101 with you. Send me a PM with your phone number, I'll give you a call back. I live at Pleasant lake, you are more than welcome to stop by.

N.N.F.              Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA  

Oh yeah, I do have a H-B for sale. Listed on the tailgate section here on IFI. Now that's a big jump for a beginner, more for the Smith that has paid for their anvil 10Xs over.

Hey Jeff, 

Awesome? Yet to be seen... Have you been to the Blacksmith shop in the village. The historical society owns the shop there, and opens it once a year for, Manchester's famous chicken broil. My son has been demonstrating there since he was 5, he was the kid on the milk crate.

Your old house may be in the first picture of my H-B here on IFI, in the tailgate section. The anvil is stamped Lakeside, shot an artsy next to the lake picture. From the picture you probably know where I am. 

I did get your PM, voice mail was full. Sending you a PM with my phone number. 

N.N.F.                   Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

Yeah I visited the shop once back when I was in elementary school but haven’t been since.  

How old is your son now? Maybe I’ll know him if he’s around my age. That’s pretty cool that he’s been doing that though!

I looked at your picture, it’s hard to tell on my phone what houses are in the background.