I Forge Iron

Help identifying anvil

Looks like a Trenton. The number on the left would be the weight. The number on the right with the A prefix would be the serial number.

According to AIA serial number A157314 would have been made in 1917. (I think that is what the number is, kinda hard to see a couple of the numbers.)

There should be a diamond logo on the side with the name Trenton in it. Lots of times though these weren't stamped very deep or they get obliterated by hammer marks. Trenton also made anvils for other sellers and then would usually have the house brand stamped on them, sometimes over the original Trenton logo.

The anvil has a step ( table ) so doubt it is a farriers. Slim waist makes me think Hay Budden but I sure could be wrong. Look the side over ( the side that is viewed in your pic ) with a bright light to shade different areas. BT may absolutely be right on the Trenton. Perhaps you MAY see Brooklyn NY or Hay or Budden on the side as well as other marking numbers which would be weight in pounds. Come to think of it both my HB's only have serial on the front foot. Chalk may help on the side also.

hello, I still say it is a blacksmith pattern anvil. It has a slim horn and a cutting step which are the most common on blacksmith anvils , there is no farriers clip although not all farriers anvils had clips . The best evidence that this is a blacksmith anvil is the single pritchel hole . Trenton farriers anvils had two pritchel holes as illustrated on pages 348 and 349 of Richard Postmans book Anvils in America . thanks Forgeman

Ah I didn't say it was a farriers. I said that Farriers anvils can have cutting tables as I have owned several that did. It is the clip and perhaps multiple pritchels that identify it as a farriers anvil to me. However many of the smaller anvils were used by farriers or farmers/ranchers to do shoeing even without being a "farriers" model.