I Forge Iron

Gold wire?

Hello everyone. 

I have a strange project in the process right now, and im in need of some solid gold wire, preferably pure gold, and preferably 22 gauge. I dont need a whole lot, maybe 12-14 inches in total. I have been unable to locate a reliable source.

How difficult would it be to forge gold down into wire? Or draw it through some sort of die to reach the desired dimensions? Or, better yet, does anybody know a reputable source of such wire? 

Thank you in advance.

You might find a local jewelry making class at a college that has what you are looking for. Another option could be to take a pawn shop woman's solitaire ring and cut off the part with the diamond and mount. After that you can pull the ring through some drawing dies, you'll end up with plenty of wire from one ring. You might want to read up on the process of drawing the wire. 

10 hours ago, genesaika said:

A quick Google search turned up jewelry supplies.com which seems like a good place. It isn't cheap though.... $9 per inch. 

Thank you. Im a little weary about buying it online, i would very much so rather hold it and verify that it is actually gold, but i will message them and see. I do not mind the price, as my needs demand that it be solid and pure gold (not plated or filled.)

10 hours ago, genesaika said:

I have to know, why do you need gold wire?

Sorry, but i have to play that card very close to my chest for now.

Michael, thanks. Ill see if any of the numerous colleges around me have anything like that. Maybe, at the very least, i can find out who their supplier is.

My friend Paul who works for NASA was using gold wire to build a sensor array to measure the background radiation of the Big Bang, but (A) I think it was finer than what you want and (B) I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want it going to civilian uses. Sorry.

21 minutes ago, Will W. said:

i would very much so rather hold it and verify that it is actually gold

Not sure how holding  the wire in your hands will verify it's purity, but I think there is a standard density test that will help...^_^

In any case, pure gold wire is a staple of the jewelry trade and it shouldn't be any trouble getting some 24 karat gold wire (pricey, of course).  A quick google search turns up Rio Grande and Amazon as reputable online sources.

8 minutes ago, Latticino said:

Not sure how holding  the wire in your hands will verify it's purity, but I think there is a standard density test that will help...^_^

I can feel the purity!!! 

No, what i meant by that was to actually buy it in person, see the person who is selling it, maybe run tests on it, etc. 

I looked on amazon, but i mostly found 14k. I would prefer 24k. Ill look on rio grande, never checked there. Thanks. 

Rio grande has what i need and seems to be a reputable company, though i will look into them further. 

Now, a new question. Instead of posting a whole new thread, might as well just ask here; 

I need to braze/solder/weld the gold wire together, end to end. I would like to use gold as the filler metal, so as to keep it pure. Question is, how easy or difficult would this be? What i was planning on doing was simply getting the base gold hot, then melting the filler gold right over the two, just like brazing.

Again, jewelry supplier should be able to offer suitable flux and filler wire, or you could just use a short piece thinned by hammer as filler wire. Assuming you have an apropriate gas torch. Alternately many jewelers here in the UK offer a service welding rings that have had to be cut off or have worn down over the years and require thickening, or any other repair, they will match the original material specification and prodive a first class finish. Don't see why NY jewelers would not do likewise, you could have the final joint welded for you, likely while you wait.