I Forge Iron

Anyone else used tip tig?

Donniev

I hadn't even heard of it 2 weeks ago, and my boss ordered it after looking at it in action. We do process piping for hydronics, we'll have 1500 welds to make for the new power plant going up in town and this is supposed to speed us up. Just gonna take longer than usual since every weld has to pass x-ray (despite it being a 28 pound system) I like it, but the death grip is definitely back- this thing feels huge in my hand compared to my 150 amp rig rig. 

Anyone else used this? 

IMG_20171017_143558268.jpg

IMG_20171017_143601124.jpg

What's the advantage? You still have to make the puddle before you can fill it, making an automatic wire feed makes me think you should just use a mig.

That said it's been so long since I ran Tig I'm a couple decades out of the loop.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was wandering if it auto fed like a mig or had a secondary trigger to advance the wire, John. 

Grew up learning gas welding first (exaust pipe for cars and bikes) so the few times I have used tig I haven't embarks than myself. Stick came second then mig. Now I have to use magnifiers, dark lenses and work lights or I can't see the work and the puddle. 

Wolf they're requiring x-ray because the previous contracted welders migged everything and I guess basically every other weld leaked. So leaks coupled with the fact that it was buried downtown with new concrete poured before they found out it leaked lead to their engineers getting pretty XXXXXX off, hence the x-ray requirement now.

It pulses in and out of the puddle like John said around 30 times a second, and the wire is preheated right before it comes out over the cup (that's what that blue ground wire is for). It's a pretty impressive set up honestly, once we both get accustomed to the weight of it we'll be able to fly on these welds

Were not going to attempt to put the root in right away with tip tig until we've got a few weeks on it and used to it. My first root with it is almost perfect, key word almost doesn't mean much for an x-ray job though. The plan is for me to root everything by hand and other guy will hot pass/ cap with tip tig.

If I remember I'll get a picture of my tip tig root tomorrow

Right on id like to see it cause i got a feeling that set up might not be user friendly in the root without practice. I  rather freehand the tig root cause ya got more options try as they might it will be along time before they replace the guy in position with the torch the rod and the eye.When they bring in this new stuff its always built to weld the perfect fit and conditions lol in over 20 yrs of positional pipe welding and xray work,i'm still waiting for the perfect fit.

Is the qc checking the roots before there shot cause i see a possible repair at 5.30 off the bottom it looks like the root is closing up on the side shot at about 3 o'clock these must be practice coupons are they.I think i'd wanna practice with that tip a little longer to get a bit more comfortable. Like anything else the more ya do it the better it gets its coming along. I wanna get one now to try, what schedule of pipe ya welding .

Interesting and sorry I missed the post when it originally came around.  I am looking into exactly the same thing for a semi-robotic TIG application I need to do.  Unfortunately, I have to do it on the cheap so will end up using the crappy Chinese versions of the wire feeder.  Hoping that it works out---will be using a brand new miller welder for the power supply (can't go cheap there)

Instead of a running bead, I need to make a series of tiny spot fillet welds along a 3/16" dia T304 SS rod.  The guy doing the welding by hand now is actually getting carpal tunnel problems from the repetitiveness of the job--5 or 6 thousand little spots a day.  Although I'd rather pay a guy than pay for a robot (work is about people, not just profits), it just has to happen for health reasons.

Anything I should know about those TIG cold wire feeders which isn't obvious until you start gaining experience with one?

Nothing comes to mind immediately...most of it is getting used to the weight of it, the other battle is fighting the tungsten/ wire distance, it has to be a perfect 1/8". Also we change tungsten frequently...since carbon is so dirty if any impurity gets pushed out near the tungsten it grabs on, and this isn't like doing it by hand, can't continue even with a slightly dirty tungsten. Has to be perfect...not sure if that'll help you too much or not, but that's all I can say on this so far

Thanks.  Anything helps.  We're going to use a pencil torch with a gas lens and it won't be handheld.  I had already considered the issue of keeping the tungsten clean and consistently sharpening  for repeatable results---something I have to get the crew to keep up on if this is going to work.  The welds are so small that slight inconsistencies in process will bite me.

Biggest shop problem I tend to have is inertia:  People resist changes quite strongly..and when finally onboard, complain "why did you force me to do it the old way for so long?" :) 

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, bugg said:

does anyone out there using the tip tig use the flex heads that they offer

I don't understand what you're asking. A TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) tip is a tungsten needle electrode used to make an arc to the grounded stock being welded. They are NOT used with flux, the shielding gas serves the same purpose flux does in electric welding. 

I believe you're thinking of something else.

Welcome aboard Bugg, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2017 at 1:44 PM, Kozzy said:

Anything I should know about those TIG cold wire feeders which isn't obvious until you start gaining experience with one?

Hello I am from Argentina.
Interesting project.
I am designing an automatic arm to put the Tig torch and to be able to perform automatic circular welds on 600mm diameter 304 stainless steel cylinders, commanded by Arduino.
I would like to know the results you have obtained.
Greetings people!
(Sorry for the English, I don't know. I speak Spanish)

1312332194_WhatsAppImage2020-09-04at11_42_52AM.jpeg.f25f6eac3db335f930075e9625b29ded.jpeg

This image is from modeling

Welcome aboard Francisco, glad to have you.  

What you want to do has been done for probably a century at least, just not with a set up like you show. Your proposed design would require centering for each cylinder and be touchy as heck. How are you going to feed the welding rod? 

So, when I worked for Greer Tank, we welded tanks constantly and only one station of 6 had a welder present. The helper, me made regular rounds to make sure everything was running smoothly and mark any welds that needed a look from a welder. The rest of the time I swept, changed wire spools and welding gas tanks and kept the man on the rolls stocked while moving the tack welded tanks to the ready racks. 

Greer used powered rollers and MIG welders, even for the aluminum and stainless steel tanks. It was simple, low tech and very reliable, the only semi regular problem was if a mig gun had a problem and sputtered a bunch of dingle balls and they stuck to a roller. Yeah, I scraped the dingle balls off the rollers while a welder adjusted the mig gun or yelled at me to change shielding gas tanks. Each welder had IIRC 4 shielding gas bottles in a rack so when one ran out it was a mater of 30 seconds to get a fresh one connected and the welder back in operation. 

The only adjustment to the system was when we changed tank diameters and there was a traveler to gauge how many inches per minute the tank was turning, after that, turn it on and get out of the way.  One of my jobs was to mark the starting point of the welds and as I was keeping an eye on things be ready to hit the off button when the beads overlapped about 1/2" and move the welding gun to the other end of the tank, align it and turn it back on. Both seams on the tank head started in the same position so I only needed one mark. No, it wasn't up by the gun, it was by a visible roller. 

I got to tack the longitudinal seams if I wasn't too swamped and after a while I welded baffles and manholes. That was after I'd been there a while and proven I could run a competent bead. 

I hope that's  more helpful than long and rambly. Your question brought back some good memories.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you very much!
The idea is to be able to build a system that adapts to geometries that do not allow the part to rotate, such as an off-center flange.
The input material will be fed by a system also commanded by Arduino that will be in tune with the welding machine and calibrated according to the abance speed.
The method of centering the part is a problem, but I can solve it with a laser level.
It is a new project and I really want to try, my experience is very scarce but as they say "you learn from mistakes".
Thank you very much again and greetings to all.

Do you want it to do 2D or 3D welding? Or should I say 3 axis or 4 axis? Centering anything is off the shelf laser scan tech.

Yes, you learn from your mistakes but a SMART person learns from other people's mistakes. That way you can make NEW mistakes rather than repeating old ones. 

Okay, looked up Arduino, so I deleted my last paragraph. Makes sense. 

Frosty The Lucky.