I Forge Iron

Damascus chefs knife (pic heavy)

Will W.

Hello everyone. 

Despite the numerous problems that occured throughout the process, this blade turned out successful. The customer loved it. 

Blade is 7 inches long, 11-1/2 inches overall. ~72 layers of O1 and 15N20 with "toxic green" kirinite scales, polished to 2000 grit. Epoxied on and pinned with two 3/16" and two 1/8" 303 stainless pins.

The portion of the blade directly in front of the handle did not etch properly. I beleive this to be a heat treat issue (that part may have been colder than the rest of the blade during the quench.) The learning curve hit hard in this particular area. I am disappointed about it, but all in all, i am satisfied with the knife overall. 

Comments and critique are, as always, welcome and appreciated. 

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1058.thumb.JPG.f6bcd033ffa9e53de56a4651f4a0b921.JPG

IMG_1059.thumb.JPG.de53761af14850c3c1ef694f305f69c3.JPG

IMG_1061.thumb.JPG.737b3eab703a04cf141de48b6ab84e74.JPG

20171015_200259.thumb.jpg.ff4cfa69378b62f090009c447450ba75.jpg

IMG_1062.thumb.JPG.a10e136828e305f42d88d62ad28801d5.JPG

13 hours ago, Jclonts82 said:

Later, and if done on purpose, having that line match up with a ricasso could be a kinda neat feature?

That would definitely be interesting, but the knife is already finished and out of my hands, so no changing it now. 

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

It's a feature, not a bug!

Yeah, sure. Lets go with that. Lol. 

Will, As a maker (hobbiest) I know that that kind of result is frustrating as hell. Especially after the handle is on.  I've had a couple billets have bad spots on them that wouldn't etch out until I either resanded the entire blade down or in one case annealed it and requenched it.  I tend to do a lot of in progress etching every step of the way.

Otherwise its quite a nice blade and well done.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:11 PM, Jspool said:

Will, As a maker (hobbiest) I know that that kind of result is frustrating as hell. Especially after the handle is on.  I've had a couple billets have bad spots on them that wouldn't etch out until I either resanded the entire blade down or in one case annealed it and requenched it.  I tend to do a lot of in progress etching every step of the way.

Otherwise its quite a nice blade and well done.

Frustrating, indeed. But i suppose mistakes keep me going, keep me aspiring to, one day, make a perfect knife with 0 flaws (unlikely to ever happen lol!)

Thank you for your kind words.