I Forge Iron

Is my scrap bad?

Zeap Nehpets

A friend let me browse through his old printing bussiness for tools and "scrap" to get some steel, at least for practice purposes. But i found this babies, did a little research but haven't been available to identify this by steel, nor do i know if somebody ever tried blacksmithing something out of these before. Blades from a Polar paper guillotine. Got 4 of these.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

I live in Puerto Rico, so i've been getting the pseudo shop set with everything that doesn't run on electricity, we had a pesky hurricane, about 3 weeks ago and power is not gonna be working probably for a couple of months more. So no spark test for this guy hehe. I have 3 hammers, some huge cluncky tongs, an anvil, and a charcoal forge, plus a retort for charcoal making. That's the content of my "shop" but im happy I got the blades from a closed small printing business owned by a friend, not the polar company sadly, they may have been available to identify the steel for me. My internet from my phone is spotty at best atm. So every chance i get i do some research. Or post like now

i have some free (like a lot) time now because the hurricane destroyed the food truck i worked at, im a cook as my paying job. 

OK scrapyard rules:  cut a piece off (hot with a hot cut) and try forging it.  How hard under the hammer at heat is it?  then try to quench a piece you have forged   down from above non-magnetic temperature in water and then see if it breaks easily when you hit it with the hammer.

If it's hard under the hammer it may be a high alloy steel.  if it bends or breaks grudgingly is may be a lower carbon steel.  May I suggest you put those aside for now and work with some automotive coil springs?

Yes i think too, should with something easier, also from the same find i got, old, german made wrenches din 895, dowidat and gedore. Black oxide finish. And about 15 hex wrenches, big enough for a knive, at least in steel quantity

Im gonna get experimental i might get lucky  with trial and error. Thanks for the advice both thomas and charles, yeah i got to keep my chin up and positive attitude. Sorry for the delayed reaponse, internet is bad.

I was hoping to make tools for my neighbors and such, but this craft is more an art that i though in the beginning, is gonna take a lot of practice to refine the skill to actually be useful, still, I've never been more interested in anything before this, if i can make it work as small business i think this will make me happy till im old hehe.

I think you're jumping the gun messing with making blades or do you have experience blacksmithing already? Just beating hot steel doesn't magically produce workable blades. 

With the recent disaster I'll bet you could turn your forge into a little money making tools, say pry bars or chain hooks to help clear wreckage. Then there are going to be things that need repair you might be able to do. Recovering from a disaster is a situation a blacksmith becomes a valuable resource.

Ah, I see we were typing at the same time and you've come to the same understanding I was hinting at. Making a living at the forge is no small thing, be prepared to spend a lot of tie and sweat before you're established well enough to make a living. However good publicity is an excellent foot in the door. Make tools for the neighbors, everybody around you will need something AND they'll have materials to trade so you don't have to go scrounging. Say someone needs a nail puller stronger than what he has and you make it for him That's got to be worth at least 2 decent coil springs off a car, yes? Say someone has two bent pry bars, you straighten one and he gives you the other one in exchange.

You get a good reputation as a useful person, supplies you don't have to hunt for AND experience practicing the craft. It's a win for everybody. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Judging by what this site says it could be either "standard" carbon steel, T-1 (HSS) or some kind of carbide. I would use the size of the blade to try and narrow it down.

http://www.jorsonandcarlson.com/products/bindery/paper_cutter_knives_and_accessories/new_guillotine_trimmer_knives/new_pkt_knives.html

And I am sure your scrap is not bad just misunderstood.

Ernest