I Forge Iron

Yet another 2x72 DIY belt sander project

Stitch

Well,

I finished my tire hammer so it's on to the next project. I decided that I wanted a belt grinder more versatile than

my old Grizzly 2x72. I started this project last Thursday. I am using a 2.25hp treadmill and mc-60 controller.

I CAD drew the platen and attachments and had a local fab shop laser cut them for me. I also had them cut a straight platen for upright work.

I bought the rollers from Oregon blade maker. Very nice quality. I plan on adding a ten inch contact wheel and arm.I should have everything finished and running tomorrow.

Then to build some jigs for it......

CONCEPTUALS.jpg

CONCEPTUAL1.jpg

IMG_20170918_160349.jpg

IMG_20170918_160354.jpg

IMG_20170920_160839.jpg

IMG_20170920_160850.jpg

IMG_20170920_174114.jpg

IMG_20170921_143813.jpg

IMG_20170921_203246.jpg

IMG_20170923_112112.jpg

DRIVE WHEEL.jpg

Those look like the same of similar plans we built ours from. We just used angle iron for the platen though. 3" x 3" is what most of the guys got, I had some 2" x 3" at home and changed, it seemed to be SOOOOO much simpler than trimming. 

The 3hp. motor I took out of a treadmill worked for maybe 30 seconds before picking something up in the cooling air and shorting dead. That's why mine has a 1/2" hp. sealed motor powering it right now.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd already thought of that obvious possibility and I am adding a filtered shroud with forced air flow to protect the motor. I plan on a long life for this motor. I do like the idea of readably available motors and controls. Treadmills are very easy to get, just dust them off and there you go! I have a 2hp VFD that I am saving for my CNC mill project. 

Even though I will only have a couple hundred dollars invested, I'm building this one for versatility and long life. I like the overall simplistic design. It just needed some tweaking to take it to a higher level for my needs. I saw one 2x72 built from wood, very clever and would work fine in a pinch or for someone with limited funds.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Wayne,

Hey, I appreciate that! I am always open to suggestions and some of the fantastic creativity offered by the members here. Your creativity is top notch.

I have enjoyed reading many of your post's. You and a lot of the other members are very generous with your knowledge and experience and I truly appreciate it.

I have been to your site before. Your belt grinder design is truly amazing and the most intelligent design I've ever seen is the perfect knife maker machine tool system IMHO.  Pure genius!

For years, I only free hand hollow ground my knives since that's how I learned to do it from a couple friends that were guild members back in the early 80's. I've since leaned more towards the jigs and guide method as it adds so much to making a high quality knife.

I plan on ordering your DVD and some components from you in the near future. Your belt grinder has been on my wish list for some time. (and your disk grinder!) It will be my late winter / early spring project for this year.

Thank you Wayne for stepping up the game!

• 2 years later...

Welcome aboard Anton, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might discover members live within visiting distance. Who knows one might have a 2x72 belt grinder you can try out or copy. 

Yes, there are plans though I don't know if they're carried on Iforge. Have you done a web search yourself or just asking us instead? I did a quick search and got 10 hits on the first page, one is titled "2x72 belt grinder plans". 

We encourage people to do their own basic research, so when the answer is so easy to find we are REALLY unlikely to do it for you. That kind of thing tends to tick off the curmudgeons.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stitch hasn't been on IFI since the end of 2018; health issues required him to give up smithing, and he sold all his gear. You might try reaching out to him at his website (see his profile page) to see if you can get a copy of his plans.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Anton, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might discover members live within visiting distance. Who knows one might have a 2x72 belt grinder you can try out or copy. 

Yes, there are plans though I don't know if they're carried on Iforge. Have you done a web search yourself or just asking us instead? I did a quick search and got 10 hits on the first page, one is titled "2x72 belt grinder plans". 

We encourage people to do their own basic research, so when the answer is so easy to find we are REALLY unlikely to do it for you. That kind of thing tends to tick off the curmudgeons.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty, I will figure out how to add my locality and add it. I have had a look at the plans available on the web, but this little machine ticks all the boxes that I need ticked. Thought if there was plans for it, it would save me some re-working, but I will get going on that rather than ask a question on this forum again...By the way, what is this forum for, if not for asking questions?

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

Stitch hasn't been on IFI since the end of 2018; health issues required him to give up smithing, and he sold all his gear. You might try reaching out to him at his website (see his profile page) to see if you can get a copy of his plans.

Hi JHCC,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate you helping by pointing me in the right direction, I will see if I can contact him. A newby on the site like me, does not always know where to look for the answers we need, and it is really appreciated when someone steers you with wisdom, knowledge and kindness. Thank you.

23 hours ago, Antman said:

Are the plans for this grinder available perhaps

The real question is just what do you mean by "this" grinder?  Do you mean the one Stitch originally posted, or the vastly improved design that Wayne Coe has on his website (which even Stitch mentioned he preferred)?  If the latter, I'm sure Wayne can help you out.