I Forge Iron

HELP: forging presses

Ross Moffett

Hi,

Firstly, yes I do want to build a forging press.

No, I don't know anything about hydraulics, BUT I'm very keen to learn.

Could someone please explain to me in plain English the what, where and how's about forging presses.

Also could someone give me an idea of what I must look for and where I can find it in south Africa.

Please note ,its very difficult to get books about making forging presses and the likes in south Africa.

Regards Ross.

Hi, Ross. You have just asked a VERY broad question, and we need to narrow things down a bit. First, what kind of work do you want to do on your press? You may get different answers depending on whether you want to make monumental sculpture vs Damascus billets for knifemaking. Second, what kind of experience do you have making machinery? How are your welding skills? (As Frosty pointed out yesterday, a bad weld in a hydraulic press is a recipe for disaster.) Third (and perhaps most importantly), have you done any research of your own yet? 

I would suggest that you take some time to read over the threads here on IFI about presses, think long and hard about what you read there, figure out what you need for the work you have planned, identify the holes in your knowledge, try to find that information, and then come back to ask some more specific questions, with more specific context. You will then know a lot more, and the information that you get will be easier for you to understand and to put into practice. Here is the section about presses; enjoy:

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/61-presses/

I'll be mainly using the press for Damascus billets for knife making (like 80% of the time).

I've got a bit of experience making machinery but not lots. 

I'm not a brilliant welder, but I'd get someone else to do the welding, whose good at it (or do lots of practice before hand).

I've done some research but I haven't found any place that's explained everything in detail, i'll do some more digging.

I'll go by this rule when making the press, if you thinks it's strong enough then make it three times stronger.

Ross.

Update:

I've made a rough design (very rough, just for getting idea's) here it is.

note: measurements are just rough calculations of what metal sizes I'll be using.

Please let me know what what you think I should change/adjust.

Feel free to use and modify it however you want.

Regards.

press.skp

Triple the length of the vertical guides for the ram assembly, to keep the ram/ die assembly from tipping side to side during a press.

Ok will do.

regards.

I like this design i think i'll use it when i build mine i have all the parts i just got to get the steel also i 'll be putting casters on it for mobility hope you don't mind me usin the design.

No problem, feel free.

I'll be redesigning it to fit the steel I can find laying around back home.

Regards,

Ross.

please post pics instead of software link

Here you go.

Sorry for not uploading pics sooner.

The link is a 3d design, you can only use it if you have sketchup though.

Ross.

press.png

press2.png

press3.png

press5.png

press6.png

press7.png

press11.png

I like this design i think i'll use it when i build mine i have all the parts i just got to get the steel also i 'll be putting casters on it for mobility hope you don't mind me usin the design.

Please post pics or give us updates on how it's going!

Ross.

Thks Ross its goin to be a little while yet i got to put an extension on my shop its 24x24 but its full so i need to build a 16x 20 lean to off it for cold storage for some toys.The wife wants the house renovated so im busy but like i said i have a 20 ton system in the house but untill i can move some stuff theres no were to put it once its built.Is there a materials list to go with these plans and when i start building i'll post some pics of the welding and fabbing.

Thks Ross its goin to be a little while yet i got to put an extension on my shop its 24x24 but its full so i need to build a 16x 20 lean to off it for cold storage for some toys.The wife wants the house renovated so im busy but like i said i have a 20 ton system in the house but untill i can move some stuff theres no were to put it once its built.Is there a materials list to go with these plans and when i start building i'll post some pics of the welding and fabbing.

Hi Bubba,

Sadly this design isn't accurate because I'm on holiday at the moment and I don't know exactly what the sizes of the metal pieces I'll be using.

I will be making a new design once I'm back home, which will be accurate, though it may differ slightly from this present design.

I'll upload the new design once I've made it, preferably with a material list.

This present design was just to get some idea's of rough sizes and so on.

Ross.

I like it Ross i've lookin at alot of designs this looks like it should work good i'll be changin the gussets and the base of the ram were you mount the dies.I will put a larger base on so theres more weld goin on the base and gusset's. Other than that i don't see anything to difficult.

I like it Ross i've lookin at alot of designs this looks like it should work good i'll be changin the gussets and the base of the ram were you mount the dies.I will put a larger base on so theres more weld goin on the base and gusset's. Other than that i don't see anything to difficult.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Here's the updated design.

press.png

press1.png

press.skp

Thats getting more like it , I think I would plate the two guide bars in completely to stiffen it as much as possible. Ps my drawings usually look like they have been done by a monkey with a burnt stick Cheers Beaver

Hi Beaver,

Is this better?

I still may add more reinforcement when I'm building it!

Ross.

press.png

press1.png

press.skp

Yes thats what I meant make the guide as long as you can as well. You may already know but any flexing caused by off centre loads if its at right angles to the ram spear eye will bend the spear unless of coarse you put a ball joint on the end Cheers Beaver PS dont forget to put an acess hole to install and remove the pin thats a trick for young players