I Forge Iron

120 Pounds of Columbian

John R

At least I think it is a Columbian.    Experts, chime in and tell me what you think it is.

Jaws are in perfect alignment and the jaw faces are smooth.

Everything is there:   Clamp, spring, clamp wedges, bench mount.  Even the original 5/8 square head bolts and nuts.

The hammers, hot chisel and hot punch came with it.

Got it today from a picker that found it at a barn sale.

Life is good!

DSCN5690.JPG

DSCN5691.JPG

DSCN5692.JPG

DSCN5693.JPG

DSCN5694.JPG

DSCN5695.JPG

DSCN5696.JPG

My feelings are that these are tools to be used not icons to be worshipped.  A fancy name does not make a vise in poor condition work better.  Having all original parts  does not make a vise in poor condition work better. If collectors want to burn me in effigy every time they hold a conference; that's fine by me...

It will get a lot of use.

The forge, 4 anvils,  a dozen or so sets of tongs, hardies,  many hammers and other things are waiting for the vise to be set up.  Next week I will search for a large timber to set in concrete for mounting the vise.  

And there is over 600 pounds of 1045 and 1095 waiting.   I mainly work with knives.

I found a little brother to the 120 pounder and will pick it up later this week.   At 40 pounds it will be a gem.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

600 pounds of 1045 and 1095---what are you going to use after October's over?

JHCC nice statement "A tool is an extension of your hand; a collection is an extension of your personality. "  however as smiths who may make their tools I might add in "mind" to the first part.  Collections definitely seem to be a personality thing!

I stumbled into the 1045 and 1095 some 25 years ago.   Found it at a machine shop auction.  No one else knew what it was or wanted it, so I got it at a low bid.   Most is flat bar stock.  Now stashed in the barn, I have a small supply in the shop.  I will pass it along to the grand kids one day, one is a pretty talented fabricator and likes to play in my shop.

Two pieces are in the last photo above alongside the knife blank.  Perfect forging size!

• 4 months later...

well; I have about a ton of the old sample library from a welding engineering department.  When they moved from their 1915 building to a brand new campus, I made friends with the guy tasked in cleaning out the old building.  Lots of neat stuff; but mainly in 2"x 4" x 18" pieces  hard to work efficiently in a shop with no power...