I Forge Iron

Hello from Boston

JW513

Hello from Boston. Blacksmithing has always interested me since I was little kid. About 2 years ago I said why not try it out...Long story short my mother got very sick and it changed everything. She's doing better now and I just booked a day class to learn how to make an S hook.  I'm in construction, so I have a lot of experience with tools, I just have never worked with very hot material.

I'm really looking forward to this class and being a member here. I'm going to be a sponge and absorb everything I can!

Welcome aboard! 

If you put your location in your profile settings, it will really help connect with other IFI members in your area. Some questions also have location-specific answers (e.g., "What's the best place to buy coal?"), so that will help as well.

If you haven't yet, get yourself connected to the New England Blacksmiths Association, many of whose members are here on IFI. Great folks.

And finally, I'm often in the Boston area on business, so when you get your forge set up, I'd love to stop by and chew the fat.

Welcome aboard JW: Telling us where you are in one post isn't going to stick in our memories, having it in your header puts it in our view with every message. You'll get invited to more BBQs, hammer ins, tipped to deals on tools, equipment, materials, build workshops, etc. There are lots of good guys in your region, every hour you spend with an experienced smith is worth days of trying ti figure it out yourself.

Besides it's just good to hang out with blacksmiths and swap . . . stories.:rolleyes: It's not an accident blacksmith and bull shooting are abbreviated the same you know.:ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, JHCC said:

Welcome aboard! 

If you put your location in your profile settings, it will really help connect with other IFI members in your area. Some questions also have location-specific answers (e.g., "What's the best place to buy coal?"), so that will help as well.

If you haven't yet, get yourself connected to the New England Blacksmiths Association, many of whose members are here on IFI. Great folks.

And finally, I'm often in the Boston area on business, so when you get your forge set up, I'd love to stop by and chew the fat.

Best Place to buy coal in new England is the hardware store chain Aubuchon hardware they have bituminous coal.

Join the NEB! great organization The fall meet is in one week in Goshen CT.

Good luck with Blacksmithing!