I Forge Iron

Hello from Essex, England

Patrick1992

Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forum so I thought I would post a quick introduction. As the lack of creativity within my handle suggests, my name is Patrick and i'm 24! Blacksmithing is something I have been interested in for a long time. I pursued this interest as a career whilst I was still at school, hoping to secure an apprenticeship, but unfortunately apprenticeships were few and far between at the time and the opportunity never arose. I went to university instead and joined the British Army after that. I have had a great career so far, but as you would expect, it comes with a fair amount of time constraints! In my free time, I would love to peruse that boyhood interest and dedicate more time to learning the basics of Blacksmithing, just for the sheer enjoyment of it. 

As a complete beginner, I appreciate that I have a lot to learn, but that's all part of the fun! After a few years, the aspiration would be to have enough time and money to set up a modest forge on my girlfriend's farm with a few of my close friends in order to further practice and have fun with it. Knife and sword making is of particular interest to me, but getting the basics right is what i'm interested in at the moment. I look forward to talking to you all in the future, as well as replying to any questions or suggestions anyone has going forward!

Good morning from Texas! It is 6 25 am here.Welcome to I Forge Iron! As a new kid on the block myself I can tell you you won't find a better place to help you learn the art of blacksmithing. The folks here want to see you succeed and are very generous with their knowledge and time. My advice is to read and read some some more. The information available is enormous. Enjoy your journey and hope your day is good!

Thanks! That's great, having had a flick through some of the threads already I can see what you mean, incredibly useful resource with a lot of helpful people. I'm actually heading state side myself in the next couple of days (Nashville then New Orleans). I hope you haven't been hit too badly by the bad weather where you are! Unbelievable scenes. 

No thank God, we are well north from all the flooding. Help is pouring in from everywhere for those who were affected. I hope they can get back on their feet quickly. Enjoy your trip to the US. I have never been to either of those cities. Would love to go to Nashville especially. Be careful in your travels and happy reading on IFI!

Welcome aboard Patrick, glad to have you. Getting yourself hooked up with some shop time with the Dwarf will do more to advance your skills than all the reading in the world. Being self taught is over rated, REALLY over rated, I know. 

We have a number of members in the regions you're planning visiting maybe there's enough advanced warning to get hooked up here.

Frosty The Lucky.