I Forge Iron

Fork Lift Tines... Value ?

I came across 5 Fork Lift Tines, 1.5 to 2" thick !  I have noticed some people make anvils out of them or stands for anvils.  Im thinking one I will cut up to make a  Hardie Hole Portable Block and the other four would be for resale !

What material are these things usually made of ?

I have not asked about them yet but was hoping to get some idea what these things might be worth in SoCal before approaching the guy !

Does any one have a good idea of what I should pay for these things ?

The yard is a recycle yard and usually sells things on the lower side but these are heavy and I was hoping not to pay for weight !

Please respond ASAP, I can pick them up tomorrow !

1050, 4140 and 5160 tines have been reported; I've got them from Free/Scrounged to US$20 cents a pound (my local scrap rate).  Heaviest one was 180 pounds, free but for hauling it out of the illegal  dump pile in the woods, by myself which was tedious.

Better chance of getting them cheap if they are obviously damaged.

Thanks Thomas, these aren't damaged in anyway.

They are placed,on a pallet towards the rear of the recycle yard and looks like someone placed them there on purpose.

I have a wedding this weekend to go to in LA with the wife, won't get back there until Monday, will ask then about the material and cost...  we will see !

Thanks again, hope all is well with you !

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

The forklift manufacturers I contacted reported back with 4340-4140. I believe it may be on a sticky here somewhere. Some of the new forks are stamped with the alloy, look them over close. 

Thanks for the info.

When I get back from the wedding I am going straight for the recycle yard and get some numbers flying and check to see if there are any indicators about material.

Is one better than another ?

If cheap enough I might buy more than one, someone may need one somewhere down the road !

Happy Anniversary to both of you guys, mine anniversary past a while back at 38 years.