I Forge Iron

skeeter

To paint or not to paint? I usually leave my metal sculptures unpainted but decided to give this mosquito a black finish.

The body is a heavy spring tapered in the forge. head is a big bike chain link, wing parts are garden shear blades and angle iron, legs are light reo and the bitey bit is a wood screw.

He can stand in two positions, but I like it best in the bite position with the rear legs swept upwards, as they do.

Here he is:

skeeter1.JPG

skeeter2.JPG

skeeter3.JPG

skeeter4.JPG

Edited by ausfire
forgot pics

It looks great in a nasty blood sucker kind of way.  :) The spring work great for the body.  You captured the legs well. Looks good in a black paint.

The garden shears make great wings and feathers. People are always selling them cheap or giving them away yet they usually work fine. 

Awwww you made a midget mosquito, how darling. :rolleyes: Looks good, though around here they're mostly brown to dark brown, occasionally tan rather than black. Living in mosquito country my favorite pic is the one upside down in your hand it looks dead. 

Just a little tweaking and you could screw them into posts, trees, walls, etc. by the proboscis. I think one that looked like it crashed into the wall at speed would be cool. A swatted one would sell too. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks JME - we do get some big mozzies where I am. Real bloodsuckers. I did make a giant one some years ago with a proboscis made from a double barrelled shotgun. There's a pic posted on the site somewhere. I called it my big gun mosquito.

Jasent: Thanks, these things are fun to do.

Das. Yes, the shears are good for many things. I often use them for bird beaks, either sideways or vertically. I get them from the dump all the time as people accidentally dump them with the prunings.

Frosty: Yeah, just a midget one in comparison. Some of ours are brown too, but I thought the black gave him an aggressive look. Nice Idea about screwing one into a post by the proboscis. I remember a cartoon where Huckleberry Hound (Yes, that's a while back) was pursued by a bunch of mozzies and he slammed the door to stop them. They pierced the door with their bitey bits and he hammered them over on the other side of the door. They don't make kids' cartoons like that anymore.

Thomas: Yeah, or fending off a swatter as in Das's fly sculpture.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

my favorite pic is the one upside down in your hand it looks dead. 

Just a little tweaking and you could screw them into posts, trees, walls, etc. by the proboscis. I think one that looked like it crashed into the wall at speed would be cool. A swatted one would sell too. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Deffenitly agrees with this. ^^^^^