I Forge Iron

New Anvil Arrived

HB as if you didn't know. No. 55772 if my eyes don't deceive  me. This was brought to the shop I operate and donated by a fellow  collector in memory of a smith who has passed away.

I understand  folks do that with flags but never an anvil........so here you go. Anvil as a memorial.

209 if you want to know. And not a scratch on her.

Want to load more pics but the phone isn't cooperating at the moment. Sorry

The patina is just as it looks. Real deal.

20170429_132648.jpg

I was informed the fellow who donated paid 1,300.00 for her at the estate auction.

Not going to argue of the matter, but this is the second HB anvil I have with nearly radius free edges. I understand many of you feel that is not proper. However  as a non- collector of antiquated anvils, I have two HB's and one Trenton like that. Somebody out there using anvils feels different.

FWIW; I do like my big Tenton and small Mouse anvils with very worn and radiused edges. Handy for some tasks. 

As if it wasn't  enough; Also arriving today was my birthday gift,  Anvils In America!

20170429_132507.jpg

20170429_143402.jpg

20170429_132057.jpg

20170429_205903.jpg

This is gonna receive a new wooden block and properly mounted. Then oiled. I ain't touching her. Maybe hold my coffee cup. It's a show piece and don't "need" another anvil, but I'm thankful that somebody thought enough of me to care for a historical artifact. It's in good hands/safe hands. I hope to use the hardie cutter time to time and as a conversation piece. 

I have a chain fall to lift her from the rotten stump and place atop a fresh lumber mill find.

2 hours ago, SReynolds said:

This is gonna receive a new wooden block and properly mounted. Then oiled. I ain't touching her. Maybe hold my coffee cup. It's a show piece and don't "need" another anvil, but I'm thankful that somebody thought enough of me to care for a historical artifact. It's in good hands/safe hands. I hope to use the hardie cutter time to time and as a conversation piece. 

I have a chain fall to lift her from the rotten stump and place atop a fresh lumber mill find.

man i love that stump looks like it belongs to that anvil, with the square bolts and everything

Quite possibly use the two contoured blocks. The anvil will not set level. Bounces just touching it. It is way short and modified by way of two boards; two 2x8's if I remember. I'd like it hand  height. Not even that as it sets now. Striking anvil level now. Serious doubt this was ever employed as a striking  anvil. Or even an anvil.