Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
C-1ToolSteel

Anvil stump upgrade

12 posts in this topic

I've wanted to try out an upsetting block for a while, so I made one built into the stand and added some tool holders while I was at it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice idea, but why didn't you bury the entire sledgehammer head?

ditto, more mass is major improvement.

I thought about that but decided against it. I didn't like the way it would sit against the anvil. I also thought about having it buried all the way level with the stump, but I don't want to have to brush away a pile of scale every time I use it. I may end up regretting it, but it has about as much mass under it as a regular upsetting block. I'll just have to use it and find out.

A regular upsetting block is attached to the anvil and the mass of the anvil COUNTS.  Drop that upsetting block on your foot, now drop an upsetting block attached to the anvil on your foot.  Which one has more *OUCH*?

I see your point, but dropping the upsetting block attached to the stump on your foot would hurt too.:lol:

Neat idea Chris! Will be interested in seeing how you like it. ooohh I see my (yours now) vice!

Littleblacksmith

Very cool

Thanks guys.  

4 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Neat idea Chris! Will be interested in seeing how you like it. ooohh I see my (yours now) vice!

Littleblacksmith

:) I'm trying to start a reputation as "the guy with all the overbuilt post vises".

7 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Thanks guys.  

:) I'm trying to start a reputation as "the guy with all the overbuilt post vises".

yeah, the jaws could be 6" and it would still look proportional! It really is a beast!

That's a great idea, I've had an 8" length of 3-1/2" round 4140 laying around for a while now (it's heavy as hell), wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I was thinking possibly a post anvil, but I would definitely get more use out of an upsetting block built into my anvil stand. 

Need to upgrade my anvil stand anyway now that I've "upgraded" my 130lb fisher to a 200lb Trenton. 

Now I just have to drill a 3-1/2" diameter hole 8" deep into a stump...:angry:

Toss the 4140 into a campfire and get the end bright red hot, then quench. Do a straw/purple color tempering and you will have a tougher end to work on.