I Forge Iron

Newbie with mystery anvil

Hello, This is my first post and hope I'm on the right forum for my question.  I recently bought a 225 lb anvil (224 lbs on certified scale) I can't identify.  I used paint remover and a hand wire-brush to reveal stampings of any kind but nothing is readable.  The only marking I can be fairly certain of is a "6" stamped into the lower center of the front base.  It has semi-circular divet in the rear base under the hardy hole which gave me the idea it might be an American Star.  It has a delamination crack under the rear table near the hardy hole.  Rebound is good except in that area.  If I end up using the anvil, I'll just avoid this area.  I don't want to grind and weld.  I want to preserve it the way it is.  Any input would be appreciated.  

IMG_1555.thumb.JPG.84969cb7ea5a05f6963c574c4fcc571e.JPGIMG_1591.thumb.JPG.2b04e182f4519ef78fcd744f8886de57.JPG area.  

IMG_1527.JPG

Without seeing any markings, I'd say something in the mid-19th century, probably English, probably made by someone who trained at Mousehole Forge. It has a Mouseholic feel to it, but the semicircular divot is uncharacteristic.

I'm no expert on American Stars, but I was under the impression that their waists tended to be a bit lower than shown here, giving them an appearance that was simultaneously squat and top-heavy.

Thanks for your input JHCC.  I too thought it was possibly a Mousehole but after viewing countless images came to the conclusion Mouseholes never had a divet in the base.  I've ordered Postman's AIA and hope I can learn something about it.  I may never get to the bottom of this but the research is fascinating. History was never this much fun in school!

Welcome aboard J, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

I'm no help with your anvil, seems you have a decent handle on the things.

Frosty The Lucky.

Very interesting that the front feet are different to the back. Finally someone who doesn't want to re-work their anvil tho IMO one anvil that does need repair/grinding. That cracked peice would be better off being removed or ground and welded, not a high use area tho.

There were over 100 known anvil manufacturers in the UK; many of them learned the process working in one of the others and then set out on their own making pretty much what they knew so there are a LOT of different anvil makers that were "close" to the mousehole or PW shapes.