I Forge Iron

Anyone know an anvil repair service?

search anvil repair Rod Gunther  sp?  - on this site that's the right way to repair an anvil !!

I have done more than I can count !! that way -- If you were on the West Coast I could bring it back to new shape

PS -- find a Good Arc rod Welder Guy  -- Arc rod 1105 Stoody come's only in 10 lb $70.00 +

10 minutes ago, IronWolf said:

search anvil repair Rod Gunther  sp?  - on this site that's the right way to repair an anvil !!

I have done more than I can count !! that way -- If you were on the West Coast I could bring it back to new shape

PS -- find a Good Arc rod Welder Guy  -- Arc rod 1105 Stoody come's only in 10 lb $70.00 +

Ya and the only place I can find them in 10lb boxes seems to be AirGas, and sometimes finding them in the right size is hard. Has anyone ever tried any of the equivalents? http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/us/en/literature/mc1437.pdf

Sway isn't a down check for anvils unless it's severe, you don't work lengthways on the face and straightening is better done over a sway. Even hot steel rebounds when you move it so you need to take it far enough past straight it will rebound to true. A wooden block and mallet work very well as they don't damage the finish.

Please post pictures, what you think of as damage may just a matter of technique on your part.

Frosty The Lucky.