I Forge Iron

Input on my first forge

Arkham

So I have been lurking on this site for awhile and finally subscribed a few weeks ago. I've been reading all I can and YouTubeing hundreds of hours of blacksmith videos. I have been real fortunate to have picked up three nice anvils a couple of post vises and a hand crank blower. I stopped by the scrap yard and purchased some plate steel and angle iron a few weeks ago and today I started building my forge. 

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

The blower is not permanently fixed yet, I was not sure if this is the proper location, I was hoping for some input. The fire pot is constructed of 7/8 inch steel with 3/8 inch flange around it, I welded it a few months ago and it's been sitting next to my shed, it measures 8x10 inches at the top and 3x5 at the bottom, the 2 inch pipe nipple that is sitting in it is 4 inches long. 

Usually for a right handed smith you crank the blower with your left hand to give your hammer arm a rest. But its really personal preference. The pot is typical size and should work well. If your running coal you'll want to control the size of your fire by wetting the edges to keep the fire smaller. You'll only be doing that if your forging smaller pieces like stuff up to 1/2 inch. Anything bigger you just let the fire grow to the size you need it to be. As for the ash dump you'll want to extend the pipe about 6 inches below where the side pipe comes in then install an exhaust flap like on trucks and tractors with a weighted handel on it. Thats the easiest way ro build that. You need that lenght cuz the ash will build up in there and block your air entry.  You should make the air holes in the grate a little bigger too. 

Usually for a right handed smith you crank the blower with your right hand and work the fire/workpiece with your left hand this is so you don't have to switch hands on the tongs when you go to the anvil.  Let go of the crank and pick the hammer up as you turn to the anvil and you are good to go!  Cranking the blower is a different motion than hammering and so a change is as good as a rest!  Now if you have a hard to crank blower it might be different but I won't allow one of those in my shop; too much energy wasted!  I like a blower that will coast at least 3 full turns of the handle after I let go of it.

The legs need spreaders to prevent wobble and if you position them right they make for a VERY handy shelf. Looking good. 

About crank position; wait till you've used it in different positions a while before you mount it solidly. (NOT permanently!!) I tend to agree with Thomas about cranking with your dominant hand but I've used both and don't find much problem tending the fire right handed and leaving the crank turning while I pick up the tongs. It's a matter of choice and what works for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

When I was hauling the great bellows around to demos and students and I were working it from both sides I'd put the lever in the middle so either side could access it; just had to be careful you didn't bring you hand all the way down to the fire... Depending on which way you stood to the forge you could use either hand from either side of the forge.

And yes; ask 5 smiths a question, get 13 well reasoned and experienced answers---plus a few oddball ones and a discussion that slides offside faster than a log truck in a West Virginia ice storm!

Kevin-Thanks for the advice about the extended pipe on the ash dump, I hadn't thought of it that way, and I probably would have gotten burned. (pun intended)

Frosty-I agree, there needs to be more stability in the legs. My final design will have wheels on it so I have decided to wait and see exactly where/how I will install them.

Thomas-My blower is pretty smooth as is, but I will be restoring it anyway. Thanks for your advice on the forge. I have read a lot of posts on this forum, I figured if two more curmudgeons answer my post I will get those 13 well reasoned and experienced answers. By the way that Swallow you guys are always asking about, is it European or South American.

21 minutes ago, PapaDooks said:

well obviously it would have to be european since the african swollow is non-migratory. but then the european swollow doesn't have the airspeed to stay aloft with that much weight.

Arkham was asking about a "swallow". A "swollow" is a swallow that works out too much and calls everyone "bro".

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

Arkham was asking about a "swallow". A "swollow" is a swallow that works out too much and calls everyone "bro".

You guys crack me up! This has to be the best natured and most helpful forum site I've ever been on.

I too am building my first coal forge soon (once I "finish" tweaking my gas forge) and I'm going to use an old rear brake drum from a 95 F-150 as my fire pot. Not quite as robust as a nearly 1" thick one but hopefully it will last me a while. On the topic of blowers, does anyone have any advice on where to find them other than eBay? I feel like the ones on there are way over priced.

Virtually all blacksmithing items on e-bay seem to be overpriced these days.  For hand cranked blowers, I would recommend tailgating at larger blacksmith gatherings, SOFA or ABANA gatherings as better choices.  Of course there is always Craig's list and similar, but it does seem most online sources are way out of line.

For a powered blower you have many more options, as Thomas noted.

Adopt a proper blacksmith habit and start hitting yard, garage, rummage, etc. sales! I have more blow driers than a boy needs and not paid more than $2.00, some just get thrown in to clear a table. Primarily I look for hammers, punches, chisels and Allen wrenches for tool stock, I have my eyes open for blacksmithing tools of course but everybody wants "antique" money for them and some have been so abused (weathered in the garden) they aren't much but wall hangers or scrap. <sigh>

Start hitting the weekend salvage stuff sales. I really don't need anything but have a real problem passing the signs and not stopping. I haven't purchased a hammer from a store in I don't know how long, decades at least.

Frosty The Lucky.