I Forge Iron

North German anvil identity

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It looks like a pretty standard German pattern anvil to me and the condition looks good, a little wear and tear on the sq. horn.

You're asking AFTER you bought it?

Frosty The Lucky.

LOL. Yes really didn't think I would get it. Talked to the guy last week but we couldn't come together on price. Long story short we finally did earlier this evening. Didn't steal it but got what I beleive was a fair deal. Just looking for any info as to what I bought. Hopefully a good anvil at a fair price?

Considering your photos do not reveal any names, I assume it to be a Refflinghaus or a Peddinghaus, but I could be wrong.

I like those anvils, That is the pattern we grew up with, that and the southern German one I like even better with no steps

Is 469 the weight in kilos or pounds? 

As for the question is it a bargain ... hard to say without knowing where was the anvil when you bought it and how much you paid for it. And even if you told me I wouldn't know, but from my perspective, anything under $1000 would be a bargain for a 469 pound anvil ... it those are kilos then anything under $2000 is a nice find.

42 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

Considering your photos do not reveal any names, I assume it to be a Refflinghaus or a Peddinghaus, but I could be wrong.

I like those anvils, That is the pattern we grew up with, that and the southern German one I like even better with no steps

Is 469 the weight in kilos or pounds? 

As for the question is it a bargain ... hard to say without knowing where was the anvil when you bought it and how much you paid for it. And even if you told me I wouldn't know, but from my perspective, anything under $1000 would be a bargain for a 469 pound anvil ... it those are kilos then anything under $2000 is a nice find.

469 is in pounds. I am in the Midwest united States. Gave considerably north of $1000 usd.

I see ... well ... I get sometimes into this guessing games, not sure why.

One third factor missing in my previous post, the first being location the second being weight, was a bit more personal and that is, what is a bargain for you?

For me for example ... a bargain would be to find a low hours 3to 5 ton excavator for under 20,000 ... only because I can sell it at a profit. If I look for an anvil, I most likely will never sell it, so the price I pay is more relative to space in the shop, emotions and availability of surplus funds not necessarily in that order.

So ... in other words, there is no much point in asking if what you bought is a bargain or not without knowing what you intend with the purchase ( not to mention what you actually paid, something I still don't know) ... in the first place. If it is resale value, probably not, if it is collector value ... probably not, if it is blacksmith hobby or serious hobby value, probably yes.

A lot of "probably" in that post ha ha :)

Enjoy your purchase and forget what you paid for it. To me it looks like a monster anvil in excellent condition that will do a lot of nice work. Did you test the rebound / ring? 

Hi Digger,

That is a beautiful anvil in very good condition, congratulations to have it! Don't bother with the maker or the price. It's yours now, you own a luxury anvil which is going to perform well in every possible tasks you can make up for it. Use it long and happyly! 

Bests:

Gergely

Thanks for all of the replies. Not all that concerned with the value as much as quality of anvil. Gave around $3.60 a pound and for my neck of the woods is a fair price compared to what smaller anvils are bringing here in SW missouri. Big anvils like this are hard to come by here. Seller claims 95+% rebound and if that proves close to true I will be satisfied. 

That $ 3.60 shouldn't hurt.  It's in the range where you can use it and not really lose, even if you decide to eventually pass it on.  Only negative is that it takes a pretty large wad of cash so the buyer's market is a bit smaller than it would be for a lighter anvil--and that only really affects the time it takes to sell.

So...you put money in the bank of FE and you'll likely get all that back if you choose to cash it in--plus get to use a great anvil in the meantime.  I'd call that a win.

I thought that one looked familiar....

yeah, he constantly has anvils like that up for sale, should have looked when he had the church windows anvils up for sale...those had me drooling....if only his prices were about half of what they are, then they would be a barging in my eyes, but they sell.

Littleblacksmith

• 2 weeks later...