I Forge Iron

I need help and do not know what to do

Jack-

recently my katana has been broken while I was away for a while. It was mounted on my wall until a sibling of mine took it off to play with in the backyard. The blade came out of the hilt and will not go back into it fully. I do understand that it is a wall decoration only and it would probably be best to get a new one. It was the first sword I have bought though so it has personal meaning to it. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful  in fixing it and I will include pictures of the katana in its current state. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and for any comments or suggestions given. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hmm. I seem to have heard this warning before about people making "wall hangers". You may know it is one but what about the next guy or your great grandson. Same goes with buying the cheap stuff.

Anyway, My guess would be that the pin that held the blade in broke and is bent in the hole keeping the blade from seating in the handle. Just a guess. I have broken or taken some cheaply made blades apart and they are scary dangerously made. 

Looking at the first picture and the second picture, it seems to me that the distance from the peg hole to the end of the tang is about the same as the distance that the tang is not going into the handle. That tells me that Daswulf's analysis is probably correct, that there's something in the peg hole blocking the tang from going all the way in.

If you can push the wrapping out of the way at the back end of the handle to see what's going on with the peg hole, you may be able to push out whatever is still in it, get the tang in place, and put in a new peg. Failing that, as Turbo7 and C-1 ToolSteel say, cut off the tang and glue it in place. That's where the JB Weld comes in.

• 2 weeks later...

After I found out the sword broke I looked all over the place for any piece that could be missing and couldn't find anything else. Do you know if it is difficult to replace the piece Chris?

Now looking at it I believe you are right Chris. Thank you so much for your help. Now I can get a new piece and won't have to cut the tang itself

I just ordered one of the appropriate size and length. Once it gets here what can I use to make sure the habaki, gaurd piece, and the tang all stay together, hopefully permanently, in the hilt? Can I use generic super glue or is there a certain way I am suppose to fix it?

It would most likely be cheaper to replace it. But as I said in my original post it was my first sword and it has a lot of meaning to it. It was always suppose to be a wall hanger. I think I might just use strong glue or heat the tang and mold it to the habaki, tsuba, and hilt. Either way it will find its way back to my wall