I Forge Iron

Price for power hammer please

Jen, Photograph the entire collection of things you wish to have evaluated. post the photos in the IForgeIron gallery or click on my name to send me a personal message. We will give you the best information we have on each. Our condolences for Scot's passing.

my condolences

the price of steel would vary with its geographical location as well as the international monetary exchange rates, thus what its worth here wouldn't be of much help. You'd get a better idea from a local steelyard as to the going retail rate per lbkg for your location. Cold rolled steel which is shiny (with sharp edges if rectangular) generally has a premium price over mild steel which would be grey with mill scale.

Hopefully one of our European members can provide you some spot pricing. ;)

Good Luck

Jen, my heart goes out to you in your lose.
Wish I was closer (read richer $$!! :) ) as some of the items mentioned would be nice to own. As mentioned above, check with locals for pricing on the steel and once we see pictures of the tools I'm sure there will be plenty of inquiries. I don't see any problem with being able to sell these items.

Having seen several shops where the owners equipment has been destroyed by neglect after their death I have asked my wife to pass on my tools to folks that will use them for what they are meant to be doing!

You are doing the right thing and hopefully his 'shop" can provide a bit of support for you as he would have wanted to do if he was still here.

Be wary of people offering to clean it out for some low price; such scum seem all too common. One widow I know had the local blacksmith's organization auction off her late husband's tools at the annual large conference. You may want to contact a blacksmith or bladesmith's group in France to do likewise.

As advised I've put some pics of 'Scots' machines & equipment in your gallery for you to get a rough idea of prices, I would greatly appreciate any comments.
For those who don't know my situation, my husband 'scot' was killed in an accident last Sep', I'm going to start selling his much loved forging & welding stuff but don't know where to start with prices. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

vernet.jpg vernet2.jpg vernet3.jpg
Vernet power hammer

More to post later
cheers, Jen.

Jen, sincere sorrow for your loss. In my location here in the states my thoughts for what to price items might be one thing. You in France is another. If the equipment was purchased locally there I might do a net search of places that list comparable products. Fact is you may have reciepts and know what some of the original purchase prices were. Your faith in the folks here on this website is good to see but I think that shipping would make purchase of the items tough. The original purchase prices will give you a place to start. I will assume the items will be purchased with Euros and I have no idea of any loading ( tax ) or other things. Please continue to look here because someone else may have better ideas.