I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing books; Which are best?

Iron Poet

Not knowing what you are interested in I don't know if I should suggest Moxon's Mechanicks Exercises or "The Complete Bladesmith" .  Early American Wrought Iron or Decorative Antique Ironwork, The Celtic Sword or The Knight and the Blast Furnace.   What languages do you read?

Please take off your tinfoil hat so we can try to read your mind!  Or just post a list of stuff you are interested and if you prefer instructional books or display books?

I'm a big fan of Mark Aspery's three volume set.  Clear directions, incredible photography, and a nice learning ramp.  Doesn't skimp on getting you making your tooling, and gets you through most of what you need for the later chapters.  I'll say my chisels, punches, and drifts are much nicer since I started doing them his way.

[Edit - and now I understand you might be looking for reading material rather than instructional.  I'll still stand by my recommendation.]

Flux.

Edited by flux_lalonde
better reading of the thread...sigh.

For random - I just moved to Kitchener from Victoria, where I really never got my forge properly set up.  Glad to have it sorted now :-)

On 3/7/2017 at 2:49 AM, swedefiddle said:

Talk to Sandra Dunn, Two Smiths. She is in your town. She was teaching at Haliburton. Neil

Took a class from Sandra last weekend - very good!

Good Morning,Flux

We are hosting the next CanIRON at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Cloverdale, BC (just over the hill from Langley).

Dates are July 4-7, 2017. Hopefully Registration will open later this week. see caniron.ca/2017

The journey will be worth it!!

Neil