I Forge Iron

Anvil Indentification and help

Hello....I'm new to this forum. Need help identifying the anvil in the attached picture. I went to look at it today but the no so great bounce with a 5/8" ball and ring turned me off. 200# anvil with no maker mark I could see. Face wasnt bad....edges were ok. I'm in NYS. He was at $225.....I was at $200......Thank you for any and all input. I'm wondering if I left a good one behind?

anvil1.jpg

Tool Steel.....thank you for the reply. It was in close quarters so my best guess at the rebound with the ball was around 50%. I couldn't see a casting line but like I mentioned, it was in close quarters. I have a Haybudden that rings and rebounds like a champ but I'm not sure it would be a fair comparison. I'm just a little green I guess. I think I could still have it if I want it.

The face looks to be pretty dirty and that will inhibit rebound sometimes significantly. Even the little paint I can see will. "Ring" is over rated, some anvils don't, others will deafen you. When evaluating one ring is more of an indicator of the evenness of the face's hardness. If there are any sharp changes in: rebound, ring, ting, tink, clink, etc. from one spot to another it can be an indicator the face is delaminating, coming unwelded.

I think it might be worth another look see, maybe the seller will let you brush the face off. Seems to be a pretty good price if it's still hard, condition looks pretty good from here.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well the big thing about "ring" is that if an anvil that should ring, doesn't then there may be a severe hidden damage, a crack or face delamination.  Of course you need to know which types ring and which don't and how to make sure a ring isn't being muted by how the anvil is mounted, that mount shown will reduce the ring too.

Once when I was still hunting big anvils I drove over an hour to go to an auction with a 400# anvil in it.  Got there early and went to test the anvil and the face *buzzed*----bad delamination!  I didn't even stay to see how much it went for...one of the experiences that led me to use the TPAAAT and stop wasting time at Auctions.

Thank you all for the replies.

Steel ball bearing=yes. I did hit the face with ball peen hammer for the rebound test and to me it seemed a little light. The hammering didn't leave a mark on the face that I could tell so if I had to guess, its still hard. I guess if I go back and get it and make a bad call, it would make a great lawn ornament.....

I had a beautiful Swedish Kohlswa that had been improperly heat treated and it had about a 50% rebound. I found out later that the problem occurred in the late 1980's at the factory.

I paid a whole lot more for it and assumed wrongly it would be great just based on the name. That being said if I were you and could pick that one up for $1/lb I'd probably do it because I could always resell it for at least that much even if the rebound isn't great. 

After you get the anvil home and clean some of the crud off, please post up some pics.  Based on the picture above I'm betting it is a fine USA Forged anvil with years of paint and crud built up.  As far as ring is concerned, this anvil is securely mounted to some sort of stand which could considerably lessen the ring.  I bet you a signed dollar bill that once cleaned and removed from that stand the anvil will not only ring, it will have good rebound.  That said - I'm interested in seeing what you have purchased.  Nice work!

• 1 year later...

Well I loaned this anvil to my Father In-law so I was ever able to get any info off of it. It seems to be working good in his new shop. Coincidentally my Nephew has been on an anvil hunt and he stood there is awe looking at this one. The anvil market has seemed to dry up here in my neck of the woods but I'm still hunting anvils and hope to find my Nephew something in the 125#-200# similar to this one.