I Forge Iron

Looking for advice about selling knives

Good day. This will be a long post. I was at the hardware store today, getting supplies, when a worker there asked me what I was cooking (I had several bags of charcoal) and I told him that I was a blacksmith and it was for my forge. We got talking about knives and what not, and he asked if I sell them, and that he would be interested in buying one. I told him that I haven't sold any yet, and it's just a hobby for me at this point in time. I told him I would bring a few next time I came so he could see my work and maybe we could talk it over. As I was checking out, I saw him chatting with his buddies across the store, who quickly turned and looked at me with grins on their faces. I assume he mentioned that I am a knife maker to them. This got me thinking though, if they were as interested as he was, and am I really ready to sell my work? I've been making knives and tools for about a year now (not long at all, I know) but i have made more than i can count off the top of my head, and I trust my blades. I test ALL of the knives I make (chopping, slicing, stabbing just about anything), and the majority of them hold up very well. I think I have a somewhat decent grasp of the craft, but I don't know if I'm ready to take somebody's money for them, even on a small scale. If I did, I would make every one as perfect as I possibly could, and i would sell them for what theyre worth, i wouldnt try to make a killing. I have made several knives as gifts, and the people ive given them to report back nothing but good news. I guess in the end, I'm just looking for some advice here. How did you guys get your start selling knives? How did you know you were ready? I realize these types of questions are all over the forum, and yes, i have read through them. Just wondering if some new input could be added. Too much information is (usually) never a bad thing. Thanks for reading. 

Will W

There are some real good knifes out there, real works of art made by skilled artisan with very expensive machines. 

My thought is this: The time I would have to spend making a knife that I may or may not sell for $100, I can make a gate that I can sell for $1000 ... and I don't need any super dooper equipment.

Marc1

I agree. There are many skilled bladesmiths on this site alone. I also agree on the point about the gate, but there are few people in my area willing to pay that much for a hand made gate, though they are out there. There are, however, many hunters, fisherman, and general outdoorsman who I think may appreciate a hand made knife to carry around. That opportunity seems more practical to me, at least around my neck of the woods.

BIGGUNDOCTOR

All good points, thank you. I feel fairly confident in my work, I would never let it out of my shop if I was not. The price is the big thing that always gets me however. I often look at my knives after they're finished and wonder "how much would I pay for this, if I were the customer?" Its difficult, as the craftsman, to judge that. I see flaws, and things I wish I changed or did better, however minor they may be.

Interesting. I wish I could help you Will, but I've only just started. Maybe if you posted some pictures of your knives?  I'm kinda a knife nut, so I might be able to help with prices. Maybe... if you want help from a newbie smith.

I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to the day I can sell my knives. That will be an awesome day. I wish you luck.

9 hours ago, Will W. said:

I feel fairly confident in my work, I would never let it out of my shop if I was not.

Liability is the key word here.  You are "fairly confident" in your work but not 100+%.  Product tested by UU? (Of course Not $$)  Can you get Liability Ins. (don't let a knife leave home without it) and does your zoning allow for selling your product as this now makes you a Business.  Businesses need registering esp. with the state sales tax folks.  All sorts of people out there looking to throw a wrench into your gears.  Most ridiculous Law Suits show up all the time and after being on the receiving end of a number of them even when only being a third party It can be expensive. 

as Marc1 said make a gate.  Not a bad idea seldom used in a crime which a knife could be and then it's your fault because you made it and sold it, on and on it goes. 

Good luck make your knives and enjoy them.

Admittedly, I'm not incredibly skilled either. I love making them, and when this opportunity came up, it just got me thinking. But I've posted a few before on here, nothing compared to the collection I've actually made though haha. 

Notownkid

That was worded poorly I suppose. I am confident in my work, but there is always a shimmer of doubt in the back of my head, it's just how I am. Are there any micro cracks in the steel? Maybe I could have made it just a little harder? Or put a better edge on it? As stated, I'm no pro, so I have a lot to learn yet, 100% confidence may be one of those things. A lot of what you stated, though, I honestly had not considered. Thank you for the response. 

It is unlikely that anyone would use even a $75 knife in a crime. I'm just sayin'.

I'm NO pro on this subject, but my recommendation would be to find your "niche", so that you aren't experimenting majorly with every blade. It doesn't mean your knives can't be somewhat unique, but I would suggest making mostly small simple blades.

C-1ToolSteel

I agree. It's unlikely, but I must concede his point. It is possible, and the liability could fall to you, though I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. If someone uses a truck to commit a crime, nobody pits the blame on Ford. I could totally be wrong about this though. 

That is mostly what I do though. A lot of hunting knives, camp knives, and Bowie's, though bowies always give me a little trouble, and the occasional axe. I would (try to) make anything a customer wants though, apart from swords. That won't happen haha. 

I agree Marc1, most knife crime is executed with knives intended for the kitchen or or the workshop, if the maker was responsible there would be a lot of cutlers and companies like Stanley almost perminently in court being sued! However supplying a weapon to someone if you had reason to suspect they may use it to harm someone or supplying to a minor could well see you in court, but not making the knife.

If you really want advice on this subject then people need to see at least some pictures of your knives, preferably a small portfolio.

Do you make sheaths for your knives?

Third party stretch?  Maybe but look at the times lawyers are still trying to sue gun manufacturers in the US for making a product used in crimes.  Not much of a stretch called "deep pockets" in the legal field. I  didn't say they could always make it stick but your defense  costs will BREAK a little guy and people like Stanley have in house attorneys.  Large manufactures set aside $X from every unit for liability costs and that is aside from testing costs.   

Unlikely to see a $75 knife in a crime, don't bet on it, I was attacked a while back with a $100 double bitted axe, I was faster than he was.

But the liability issue will remain as will the zoning, business tax issues.  Personally I don't care go for it experience is the best teacher you  will ever have. 

The litigiousness of American society is much more likely to come into play in consumer safety than in criminal liability. In other words, you're much more likely to get sued over a knife that breaks under stress than you are to be sued for a knife being used in a crime.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, JHCC said:

You're much more likely to get sued over a knife that breaks under stress than you are to be sued for a knife being used in a crime.

Agreed. That was what I was going to say.

I would look into liability. Become a LLC, I duno. But it is better to be safe than sorry. "Be prepared and you shall not fear".

Just my two cents. I always like to error on the side of caution.

JHCC, I agree completely.

Smoggy, I have a couple of posts on this site of my knives, not many though. I could try to get a portfolio together. Unfortunately, I usually don't make sheaths, which seems like a deal breaker to me. Who wants a knife without somewhere to keep it? I need to get some leather, and start making a few, no doubt.

1776, I've considered this as well. Would I really even make enough selling them to pay for liability? That's my main concern. Always a consideration though.