I Forge Iron

Homemade anvils?

It would be horrible trying to use it as an anvil. I-beam really lacks the mass you would want.  What is holding you up? money or trying to find a "london pattern" anvil? 

There are a lot better things to use as an anvil. a section of RR track stood on end, a block of steel, a good dense rock.........

Glen is 100% correct,I fought hard for my first anvil.  I no sooner picked it up and the next day one was setting on my doorstep for free.  It's quite strange how it happens.

Now I have 3 anvils.  I'm using the tpaaat approach to finding time to put hot iron on them,  Doesn't seem to work as well for that......  

51 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I-beam is lousy for anvils, but good for anvil stands.

I do envy your stand jhcc! Darn nice work!

A Google search shows that it is comparable to SAE 1045 a medium carbon steel. 1045 is tough, and is used for things like shafting, and plow parts..hence the nickname plow steel.  

But seeing as you are in Ireland take a look around the UK. There are anvils all around over there, and at a lot better prices than the one you linked to.

Check the Anvils Facebook page, there are some Brits buying and selling anvils on there.