I Forge Iron

Anvil feedback. Pics included.

Hi all. This is my first post so let me say hi and thanks for any feedback. I'm starting to collect things to have at it with forging some knives. 

I have the chance to trade a Wilton bullet vise for this anvil and would like to know anyone's thoughts. The pic of the anvil and vise are attached. 

Thanks again. 

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5542.PNG

IMG_5543.PNG

IMG_5544.PNG

IMG_5545.PNG

IMG_5546.PNG

That's a good point. Not sure what the anvil is actually worth but I do have a bunch of vises that just sit on the floor and look pretty. I don't have an anvil.  My other option is to be patient and wait for one in better condition.  I hate not know about somthing.  Killin me. 

I'm gonna talk to the guy tommorrow. Basically gonna say I will have to pass on the trade since the anvil is a bit rougher than I'm looking for and the cost to get it where I want makes trading for it to costly.  I will ask what cash he wants for it. 

Any  suggestions on what is reasonableness max price to pay.   

Supply and demand in your area. If you say $5 a pound, then pay $3 a pound and you are good. 

You can sell you vice for $300 and you are still some $100 in front ... I can't believe I am saying this ... just buy the anvil and keep the vice and keep on looking for more anvils. Stop when you have 23 anvils :)

So I did the trade but modified a bit. Traded the Wilton to him for the anvil + $50 + old Parker vise.  I will do a refurb on the Parker and use it to get some smith tools. The face is 12" and anvil 21" overall length. It sits 10.5 " high. 100lbs.  I hit the anvil with a wire brush and rubbed some oil on it.  I just did a quick clean.  Here are some pics.  The face surface was in better condition than I thought. It was years of dirt on top. It does have chips on edges of plate but still enough edge to work with.  

Thanks everyone for your input. I was able to get more out of the deal.  

It is appreciated the community coming through. 

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5560.JPG

Thanks. Have the Parker at my buddy's house in our electrolysis tank. I will update some pics later. So after some more searching I found out that people trying to sell anvils at $5 a pound. but they are not always selling.  

It was hard to give up the vise but after a little time I am glad I did.