I Forge Iron

First and second blades

duckrunner

1 hour ago, JeepinJoe said:

Do you think surgeons have forums with surgeon curmudgeons?  :)

Of course and they're filled with cutting comments that'll leave you in stitches.

Sure I love a straight line but that one's just too easy Joe, how about a LITTLE challenge on the next one eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Most I've talked with have mentioned a curmudgeonly mentor or two; though 1 on 1  as they think some things you need hands on training for...

My brother in-law is an orthopaedic surgeon and he used to take me along when he was the resident in the local hospital because I am familiar with tools and he is not. Was kind of fun and the surgical side of things was something anyone good with his hands can learn in a short period of time if you have a steady stomach. 

I've met a guy who was an orthopedic blacksmith at a Hospital in Columbus OH during WWII; had a number or interesting stories about forging custom critical use braces and things.  I think the skill levels depend a lot on what area you are working on,  Hand surgeons for instance...(and my father has almost more titanium in his legs than I have in my shop; one of those air travel with XRays deals)

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Of course and they're filled with cutting comments that'll leave you in stitches.

Sure I love a straight line but that one's just too easy Joe, how about a LITTLE challenge on the next one eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

LOL...that was good. You hit that softball out of the park.  I shall try harder next time.

9 hours ago, Benton Frisse said:

Ooh I like this knife with the brass guard. Great work! 

Thank you! I melted down casings from the last time my dad and I shot guns together to make the guard. He lives 15 hours away so I don't see him much anymore. Put a lot of thought and time into making him something nice yet functional. Really gonna be upset if he never even uses it as a knife lol

13 minutes ago, duckrunner said:

Thank you! I melted down casings from the last time my dad and I shot guns together to make the guard. He lives 15 hours away so I don't see him much anymore.

Even better for it to have a personal memory connected. That's fantastic.

14 minutes ago, duckrunner said:

Put a lot of thought and time into making him something nice yet functional. Really gonna be upset if he never even uses it as a knife lol

Here's an idea: send it to him with something to cut. Maybe a salami or a block of cheese. 

57 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Even better for it to have a personal memory connected. That's fantastic.

Here's an idea: send it to him with something to cut. Maybe a salami or a block of cheese. 

Are you REALLY suggesting he encourage his Father to cut the cheese?! :o Now I HAVE to ask Duckrunner. Are you the product of a dysfunctional relationship with your Dad or is he a regular guy?

Frosty The Lucky.

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

Are you REALLY suggesting he encourage his Father to cut the cheese?! :o Now I HAVE to ask Duckrunner. Are you the product of a dysfunctional relationship with your Dad or is he a regular guy?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hahaha oh no we've got a great relationship, but for some stupid reason I moved back to where I grew up when I should be out there with him... I don't know if "regular" is the word I'd use to describe him, though.