I Forge Iron

Attention all I.F.I. Tech & \Metallurgy fans

SLAG

SLAG here.

(again).

Waahh hooo!!!

Scientists at Washington State U.   & in China take a bow.!

Just reported. They have developed a soy and bacterial cellulose filter material that filters out many hazardous gaseous pollutants.

Such as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, formaldehyde, and V. O. C.'s. (volatile organic compounds).

Most air filters remove particles form the air. Few collect gases.

The new filters are cheap, natural, organic, biodegradable, and inexpensive. Namely, made from soy waste and bacterial cellulose.

It IS very hard to believe this development, RIGHT!,   so check out ,

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-environmentally-friendly-soy-based-filter-capture-toxic.html

to make sure.

Keep following the I. F. I. technology and metallurgy sub-group bulletins for exciting new devolpment reporting,

Your ever enthusiastic correspondent,

SLAG.

What happens to the filtered gasses when the filters biodegrade? If you've got a filter full of methylene chloride, you're not going to want to toss that on your compost pile. 

It's like mycoremediation: mushrooms do a great job pulling heavy metals and radiation out of contaminated soils, but now you have to figure out what to do with a bunch of contaminated mushrooms. 

J.H.C.C.,

What to do with contaminated gas sequestering filter material?

Much of the contaminating gases can be chemically broken down by microbes in the soil. The polluting gas is absorbed onto the filter material and they can now be acted upon by the bugs in the soil. (who could not work upon them when they are in the gas phase. (i.e. in the air).

Some higher plants and some micro-organisms can absorb heavy metal contamination in the soil. By doing so they concentrate the metals in their tissues. The plant body can then be harvested and the metals can be extracted.

Some higher plants, for example, can eat airborne  formaldehyde. They use it as a chemical feed material, and convert it into chemicals that they use.

Highly polluting V. O. C.'s (volatile organic compounds) and readily broken down by soil micro-organisms. Some of them can even break down cyanide and T.N.T. etc.

SLAG.

There are always two sides to "technology news".

Some choose to cherish the "news" regardless of content. It is almost a religion, worship the good news regardless of anything else, jump up and down ... Kumbaya  ... if you don't you are a denier, a dinosaur, a pessimist ....

Others react to new technological discoveries with an instant negative reasoning.  Resorting to an encyclopedic knowledge worthy of a better cause, some people have this uncanny ability to find an instant scientifically sound reason to disregard the news as nonsensical.     

I think that a far better and more sensible approach is to consider new discoveries for what they are. A means by which an intelligent person attempts a way to invoice another. 

Invoicing someone has a whole array of side effects, domino effect, butterfly effect, you-name-it effect, yes all play a role. 

Eventually side effects stop and if the invention survives, we may be able to buy one just like it ... or be forced to ...  or told we get cancer if we don't

Meantime chill. 

The world is an amazing place :)

Some folks just get tired of the hype and remember *many* previous things that were "the greatest thing since sliced bread" and never came to fruition.  Would it hurt to describe things without the hype?  I myself have undergone a medical procedure that was hyped up and now is generally not done as the results didn't warrant the painful side effects.  Makes me view the subsequent suggested procedure(s) a bit warily.

Where's my flying car! Segway anyone?

As for heavy metal mushrooms; the answer is simple---feed them to other people!   (Having seen "The Beguiled" and "I Claudius"; I do not eat mushrooms!)

"Beguiled" certainly deters my urge to pick mushrooms.

In 1984, a certain medical institution found it expedient to prescibe poison to me for a head injury, and much cheaper than a full work-up.

I like receiving this tech news because it informs me of what the world will potentially look like in the future. Like these scientists, I too get excited when I discover a precursor for something that will not be immediately usable by humanity.

speaking of hype, I remember Lockheed Martin's excited invitation to the world's  technologists to help them finish their fusion power project, which they claimed was nearly complete.  I suspect that their call for "collaboration"  was because they were stumped, and after several years, they still are.

Then there is the "sticky tape x-ray", heralding a new era low-cost remote locale field diagnostics, which has not made headlines since 2008.

Meanwhile, my cold-fusion device continues to chug along, producing copius power from margarine and cold cream.

Robert Taylor