I Forge Iron

Smithing hammer on steroids: video

I just happened upon a video on YouTube of some heavy duty smithing in China.  Imagine smith's working outside making relatively complex pieces doing all of the basic techniques we may use at the forge:  upsetting, drawing out, punching, drifting, etc...

Except, now include the fact that their pieces of steel weigh in the tons, their anvil is probably 4'x8', their tongs are forklifts and their hammer is a pile drive.  It's pretty amazing.

Chinese smith's forge a flange

1 hour ago, Tubalcain2 said:

WOW WOW WOW.

what he said but about 5 more times!

1 hour ago, beech said:

I'd sure hate for anyone to turn that thing on while I was under it, or for that hot steel to roll of the forklift at me.

I was thinking the same thing while watching it! oh, and the scale that would be flying off of it!

Would really have to trust everyone in the group, as it truly does seem to be a group effort, but would really, really have to trust the guy who was operating that huge hammer!

Those punches and drifts that they were using would make pretty decent anvils!

Littleblacksmith

It was a complete OSHA nightmare.  At least half of them were wearing face shields!  But seriously, it is amazing what those guys are doing with that equipment.  That huge fullering tool they created would be an awesome addition in miniature as a hardy tool to any shop.

I saw this recently on another forum. I was terribly impressed by the coordination and skill of the fork lift drivers.

It is a pity the camera did not zoom out so we could see the actual hammer mechanism and the operator.

I thought that given the small diameter of the con rod that it probably was a cable operated drop hammer. 

The scale of danger and the forces involved there renders most PPE ineffectual...a toe 'tector boot vs that ring? It would tend to take out the leg....if you were lucky!

I was puzzled by the title though and wondered if "street" was a Google translation of the Chinese for "outside"

Alan