I Forge Iron

Scrappers Chess Set

A scrappers chess set, the board doesn't go well with the set but it's all I had to use. I'll probably make one out of wood at some point. I know Frosty, it's a little normal for me but the pieces just jumped out of the scrap pile so I made it. Winters coming, it will be nice to play a game or three by the fire.

IMG_4129.JPG

Woodcraft Corp. sells a wooden chess board kit. It is not elaborate.

But I believe that the pieces should not have to compete with an ornate chess board.

The contrast would be striking because the pieces are very nicely done.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

SLAG.

On 12/5/2016 at 1:31 AM, JHCC said:

Do a metal board, with different textures or patinas for black and white. 

Thanks guys, I'd probably go with wood. I have some nice ebony wood that I can use and the skill set to do it. I don't have the right tools for metal so that's out but that would be really cool. 

That's a great set, CT. And I don't think the board is out of place. I like the contrast. The cap nuts make beaut pawns and those castles look like brake adjusters.

I want to know how you get that scrap steel so spotless. My guess is you bead blasted or soda blasted the pieces. Whatever, they look good.

Aus the cap nuts worked out perfectly and you correct, the rooks (castles) are brake adjusters. Infact everything except the cap nuts are car parts. As for cleaning, I just used my parts washer I built and a wire brush. These pieces were all painted. 

The board does work but alas, the wife found the pieces that go with it so I have to come up with another board now lol!