I Forge Iron

Newbie hello

Jimmyiorn

Hello all my name is Jim and I live about 30 min south of Pittsburgh Pa, I do coal mine service for a machinery producer. I have been reading on the site for a few weeks now and have been trying to soak it all in, great site.

i got into black smithing about 8 years ago with a rivit forge, post vice and a 110# ASO from HF cast steel Russian . I did some pounding just couldn't put enough time into it then. I recently got going again and I definitely have the bug.

I have since picked up a #115 Peter Wright, built a brake rotor forge and have been hammering every chance I get making hooks, forks, hardy tools, punches, drifts, ect. I will be working on building a small shop to work in, and hopefully talking and meeting some people from here to get better at the craft.

?#1 would the ASO that I have listed above be of any use as a striking anvil.

i will try to get some pics on here asap

thanks

Welcome aboard Jimmy. Sounds like you are pretty close to my area. I'm about 45 minutes south of Pittsburgh. What town do you call home? I have a Charleroi address but I'm closer to Bentlyville. 

Yup, there's A lot to soak in here on IFI, let alone keeping up.

If the anvil is cast steel then it could be used for striking. Set it up at the correct height and give it a try, nothing lost you already have it. If it's cast iron then not so much. Just my opinion. 

Welcome aboard Jimmy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. Just telling us in one post isn't going to stick in our memories after we open another message. Keeping where you are in our faces is much more effective.

If nothing else the cast anvil will make a fine bottom tool holder, hardy, bending forks, swage, fuller, etc. A lot of the Russian HF anvils were cast steel and not BAD anvils, not great but not nearly as worthless as Chinese cast iron so prevalent now.

You'll do far more forging on the PW though, just wait til you compare their performance under the anvil, their weights aren't different enough to matter but the character of the steel sure is.

Frosty The Lucky.

I haven't made any hammers yet but I did strike for Crazy Ivan when he made a couple at my shop. I do have the hammer eye punch and drift tools we made to make the hammers. Just not having a striker, I haven't made the jump to forge a hammer yet. 

If you feel like stoping by my shop some time Pm me. We can fire up the forge and crack a couple cold ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Das it was pretty easy, I figured a gearhead that likes a cold one;) would like it, I have heard that some valves have ??? Sodium in them ?? Not sure about that so if it goes in the fire watch it. I don't know if I have any more around I'll look maybe we can make a few.

here are some of the other thing I have made. Rough but they function , and my touch mark for now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jimmy I have a box of them kicking around and if I need more I can ask nicely at my neighbors to tear apart some scrap engines he has laying around. Yeah I heard that on here somewhere. When I'm not sure I atleast try to be cautious with scrap. 

Same here JHCC. Sounds like a fun project.