I Forge Iron

CNC Milling An Anvil

This single thread is evidence enough that IFI is a goldmine of knowledge.  The amount of information and experience doleed out in just these past few posts is a few years worth of hard learning minimally.  You guys rock and I absolutely love this place...and I'm not even trying to make an anvil.

Larry, take this all in, plan and then plan again.  You are about to learn to respect what our forefathers were able to do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a bit of interrogation out of my Instructor, and he honestly doesnt know how big we can cast it. We are going to start small, like 5lb and slower work our way up until we simply cannot get the capacity out of our schools foundry. anybody know where to get coal or coke in/near Kalamazoo Michigan?

I don't want to be stepping to deep into something I don't know that much about, but it seems like this project would involve taking advantage of your schools resources to create an anvil that will end up costing the school more than it would cost to buy a brand new one. What does that accomplish? If you can pull this off in a cost effective way, then more power to ya. If not, I strongly suggest making something that you will look back as a time when you created something out of nothing, not a project that you were able to make because your school doesn't care how much money it costs.

2 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

OK. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to burst your bubble. I wish you luck on the scholarship!

No trouble at all. I wasn't trying to sound rude! Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas.

• 2 weeks later...