I Forge Iron

New forge build!

SpencerDirks

Here are some pictures of the forge build I'm currently working on! It's a motor shell insulated with ceramic kaowool blanket and coated with refractory cement. I'm just waiting on the cement to dry so I can coat the whole thing in itc-100 and fire it up! I've included a not so great photo of the burner I will be using in it as well. I'd love to explain it but it's one my dad built years ago and hasn't gotten around to showing me how to build yet. Let me know what you think! 

Thanks for reading!

Spencer Dirks

20161109_190905.jpg

20161109_190914.jpg

20161109_191006.jpg

20161109_200624.jpg

20161109_191044.jpg

20161109_191108.jpg

The temperature rating on the cement is 2700° f and the burner works beautifully I've had many an alloy up to welding temp with this burner in the past. I also have a riel burner but prefer this one. I'm not certain as to whether this one is a copy of something but I'm pretty sure my dad designed it excuse my lack of knowledge!

Sounds like you have a solid performer of a forge, the ITC-100 should protect the cement form fluxes if the cement is a typical recipe. Most are NOT high alumina and so vulnerable to hot borax.

I look forward to seeing it in operation.

Frosty The Lucky.

I put it on maybe 1/8th inch thick possibly 1/4 at the most. The refractory was very thick and hard to work with to begin with but I added some water to make it more malleable. It may take longer to dry but it made the process much easier! The kaowool is actually pretty rigid plus the fact that its cut and packed in there very tight helps a great deal. I've actually never worked with kast-o-lite so I can't really speak to it but the consistency before the water was somewhat akin to gum.

Spencer