I Forge Iron

so proud of me

JME

Just had to toot my own horn. Been using long pliers for tonges so I got some round bar 3/8. (I think I should have gone bigger) and...

I just made my first set of tonges. They are sloppy and the rivet s lopsided but they hold a piece of steel and feel good in my hand, so this is a win for me.  

Thank you to everyone who has given advice on how to get started. More help than you can imagine.

And thank you everyone who has answered all the newbie questions. Lots of great reading. I have learned so much I now realize how much more there is to learn.

IMG_20161106_173340.jpg

IMG_20161106_173423.jpg

Good job on those tongs.  So cool to use tools you made.  3/8 round stock seems a little to small, but I can see they would make good tongs without drawing out the reins.

I went to a workshop with Mark Aspery and we made flat bit tongs and box jaw tongs.  We use 3/4 square stock. At first I thought it would be difficult working with that large of stock, but I found it worked very well.  The last two sets of tongs I have made from 3/4 round and 11/16 round.  The bosses were much better formed.  Also, I have gained some very valuable experience in drawing out the reins, which turned out really nice.  I was amazed at how a 4 inch piece of 3/4 square would easily transform into 12-14 inch reins.  I find drawing out the reins a pleasure now that I am familiar with the process of drawing them out, barring them up and rounding the corners.  

I have some 7/8 square stock I salvaged that I will make several of my next pairs from.  

Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to use bigger stock next time and going to do both sides at the same time. Should have time this weekend to do it, ( xxxx working for a living) I did these 1 at a time cause I didn't have tongs just some long pliers ( was getting tired of the smell of singed hair).  

I have some 3/4 rebar. Think I will try with that. What do you guys think? Never tried anything with rebar before.

I use 3/4 inch round for all my tongs, except for the ones made from railroad spikes (5/8" square). I find that 1/2" is I a bit small, unless you upset it. I personally enjoy drawing 3/4 inch or anything over half inch, and below 1 inch over the far edge of the anvil! If you do it efficiently than I think you will find it quite enjoyable also, and honestly after some practice (as in a lot) you will find it to be a walk in the park, which I'm not quite there, but it is WAY easier for me now, than it was earlier! Way easier!

Littleblacksmith

On 11/6/2016 at 4:46 PM, JME said:

Just had to toot my own horn. Been using long pliers for tonges so I got some round bar 3/8. (I think I should have gone bigger) and...

I just made my first set of tonges. They are sloppy and the rivet s lopsided but they hold a piece of steel and feel good in my hand, so this is a win for me.  

Thank you to everyone who has given advice on how to get started. More help than you can imagine.

And thank you everyone who has answered all the newbie questions. Lots of great reading. I have learned so much I now realize how much more there is to learn.

IMG_20161106_173340.jpg

IMG_20161106_173423.jpg

Awesome!

Great work on your first set of tongs. I did my first set out of 3/8 round and they are fine for light work. By all means try the 3/4 rebar, but be prepared for some heavy work drawing that stuff out, and be aware its quality can't be guaranteed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so my second set of tongs, out of rebar, are not worth showing, but my 3rd set are great. (1/2" round)IMG_20161120_171939.jpgI am very proud of these. Took some practice bit I finally got the rivet right.IMG_20161120_171954.jpgI made them to hold an old file that is becoming a knife.  Lots of grinding to do. I am thinking an oak handle.IMG_20161119_175215.jpg

Congrats JME,. I'm right there with you.  I'm at that point where making a working tool in order to make something else is so incredibly satisfying.  I hope that feeling of success doesn't fade.  I'll be sad the day I hammer out a punch or something, use it and am not in awe.

I see you tried the rebar and then moved on, the most valuable thing you use in the shop is your time. barring the rediculous I try to use good steel if I am investing my time into a tool. Also keep in mind that quality steel will hold up better when you do not do a perfect job making the tool. There are people who really enjoy making a useful item from scrap, that is fine and might be your personality. I just thought I would put in how I view steel selection, esp. for tools. When I use scrap for tongs it is coil spring, or similar. Others like to make tongs from mild steel so they can cool them when hot as in red with out as much risk.