I Forge Iron

Got a bucket of these on a job I did

Work hardened not case hardened.  SCA armour makers like them to make planishing stakes and selling such stakes to SCA armourers can be a profit center...

In coal fired power plants they are usually used in a ball mill to pulverize coal to be shot into the boiler to burn efficiently.  Sometimes they start as large as 2' in diameter and get scrapped when they wear down past usability.

You often find them sold at fleamarkets as "cannon balls"   which is fraud as measuring them generally shows that they do not match *any* of the standardized cannon sizes pretty much since Napoleonic times.   Spark test would show they are not an alloy used  as well.  Last time I bought some I bought them for US$1 a piece from a fellow selling ball mill balls, next aisle over a fellow wanted $12 apiece for the US Civil War Cannon Balls...

My Brother works in a mine crushing plant where they use a ball mill and I got some similar ones except about 6" dia.  He did warn me that in the crusher if they ran it too dry and the balls got hot they were liable to fracture/explode.  Might be worht checking out before you put them in your forge.

Andrew

Their alloy varies from make to make. There is a wide range available. People tend to buy the cheap ones not realizing that the more expensive last so much longer that they are cheaper in the long run. I have only seen a fractured one once but since they stay in the mill until so small that they get out through the exit grid I assume most fractured ones just disappear.