I Forge Iron

you dont need a big anvil!!

All of us suffer from anvil envy, but look at these guys. They have a very nice (large-ish) anvil, but have decided to go with the smaller round block of steel to do almost all of there forging (well, at least in this video). The anvil that all the guys were striking on looked to be almost the equivalent of a sledge hammer head. Now, what's stopping you from forging? if its that you don't have a "adequate" anvil? well, I bet you do! now get hammering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2a1pLVF8kk

Littleblacksmith

I've seen a lot of those types of videos.  In the third-world, labor is cheap and supplies are expensive, so they'll figure a way around things.  That anvil might have been the end of a long shaft, the majority of which is buried.  Saw one vid where I'd swear they were using a round from a 155 howitzer as the anvil.  The ogive of the chunk of steel sure looked bullet-like, and there was some kind of groove that looked like a cannelure.  

Probably be a couple of weeks before I'm up at my shop, it looks like a nice cone, a couple of feet tall.  Much nicer steel than the cast iron cones more typical of a smithy

I really wish I had bought several of them now.  I'd like one at each shop...

The fellow worked with their manufacturer and said that these had failed Q/A (I don't know how they look great!) He had a nice load on a flatbed.  They are just about perfect for the trivets I forge.

• 1 month later...