I Forge Iron

Forging pipe, pros and cons

The subject of forging black iron pipe came up in the "It Followed me Home," thread.

The specifics in the question are 1/2" drops and removals from work. Salvaged iron, best kind. However getting pipe hot in a forge poses hazards you need, REALLY NEED to be aware of. First is the tendency of heat to flow up the length of pipe either by convection or by forced draft, say the air blast in a coal forge or the gas burner in a propane forge. In some conditions you can get severely burned by an invisible flame blowing out the end of pipe. At the very least pipe WILL  be a LOT HOTTER than the solid bar you're used to! Plug it with something non flammable to prevent heat blowing up the pipe!

Another very dangerous situation is quenching it. Never Never NEVER put a piece of HOT pipe in a bucket of water, it will blow boiling water, and is extreme situations super heated steam right up your arm and few burns are as unpleasant as scalds.

Lastly for the major hazard of forging or hot working pipe is sealing both ends. This can happen sometimes without realizing it, say making cat tails where you're swaging a section on both ends. If something is trapped inside it can get . . . interesting if heated again.

This makes forging pipe that's been bent, crushed, etc. a high pucker factor practice. Minimize the pucker and take a saw to it, cut some slots to release pressure as it builds.

Sorry, The original question was about project ideas but I'm Mr. Safety ranger and prefer to get the things that can shorten my list of friends out of the way soonest. It's not like I have so many friends I can afford to lose any if I can help it.

Uh, lets see: Cat tails are natural pipe projects. Cala ilies are nice. flower buds, Acorns, etc.

I'm sure more ideas and even PICS will start showing up shortly, a lot of guys do really nice work with pipe.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you frosty. I am trying to find examples of what you guys have made out of 1/2" or 3/4" black gas pipe. I can salvage everything I could want for fittings and pipe. Just trying to find a way to get use out of it besides rusting in the corner

Although I wasn't the one who commented on having the 1/2" pipe scraps, the info you've provided is helpful.  I did forge a small bell from 3/4" black pipe a couple of weeks ago.  That was an interesting experiment that turned out better than I had expected.  I was careful to avoid the steam cannon, and I wasn't closing off any potential explosive compartments.  You're right about the pipe getting a LOT hotter than a solid rod does.  Next time I'll try to remember to close off the back end.

Bell.jpg

Bell 1.jpg