I Forge Iron

New to forging

Hawks Hobby

I am new to the whole idea of building a forge or making anything from one. So I guess I will start with a little about me. 

I am a creative person. I have a long history of mechanics not only auto but also aviation, robotics and heavy equipment. I also built houses and a lot of other jobs.

I have been looking around, reading and watching videos but not sure what forge is best for me. I want to start making knives and other small items. 

I have a large anvel and all kinds of tools. Maybe too many lol. So I know I dont have to buy tools any time soon. But the forge is my issue.

I dont want the forge to fail so I am looking for ideas on builting one that will hold up. Does any one have any info on a forge that will hold up to I am guessing 3000 F? 

Welcome  to the forum  . There are stickies at the top of this section  that covers gas forges.  Read them then go to the top of the solid fuel section  and read the stickies  there  that cover coal forges . That will answer  a lot of your  questions. 

Thank you. I posted this way too soon I am sure. Sorry everyone. I seen the topic about looking around before posting a question qfter I posted this question. I will look around and then if I dont see what I am looking for I will ask. Again Thank You for not bashing me. (LOL)

11 hours ago, Hawks Hobby said:

Thank you. I posted this way too soon I am sure. Sorry everyone. I seen the topic about looking around before posting a question qfter I posted this question. I will look around and then if I dont see what I am looking for I will ask. Again Thank You for not bashing me. (LOL)

Good plan. If you can't find the answer, at least you'll be in a better position to ask an informed question.

One suggestion: if you put your location in your profile, folks here will be able to see where you are, and you'll be able to link up with other smiths in your area. Learning in person is always better than learning online.

Excellent; we've got lots of members in Texas. Now, get some snacks, a cold drink, and a comfy chair and pull yourself up to the IFI archives. Read everything that strikes your fancy. Then read things that look kind of interesting. Get frustrated that a forum software change a little while back wiped out several years' worth of photos, so you'll have to work a lot harder to figure out what people are talking about. Get really good at finding what you need on IFI (pro tip: the search function is horrible; you'll have much better luck doing a Google search and including "iforgeiron" as a search term). Marvel at how the same IFI member can be either the most helpful person in the world or the bitterest curmudgeon you'll ever meet, depending on how intelligently and respectfully the question is asked. Look at the member galleries to see what other IFI members have done and get both intimidated and inspired. Have fun! 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. You're going to fit right in here. You didn't say what kind of forge you're thinking of so it's not possible to give you a meaningful answer. That's question tip #2. Be as specific as possible, vague questions tend to yield  meaningless mumbo jumbo from the less knowledgeable folk.

That's another perhaps more important reason to do some reading in the archives, you not only will probably find the answers there but you'll get a handle on the craft jargon. Speaking the same language makes communicating much easier. The internet is going a long way towards standardizing the blacksmithing jargon so folk from 150 different countries all over the globe have a chance of understanding each other.

Oh, one last bit. The curmudgeons are actually big hearted and very helpful folk they just don't care for attitude. Some folk THINK they're being dumped on if someone told them they were wrong but it's usually kids and their love of "Tude" and drama. Not saying a word about you, just those crusty old curmudgeons, poor misunderstood souls they are. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

I would like to thank all of you for being so cool. I was not expecting this kind of welcome. Its great to know the people her are so helpful and willing to share. Thank you all for having me here. I look forward to learning and growing here with you fine people. 

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

You are not too far from Balcones Forge, balconesforge.org , who could probably introduce you to folks much closer to you.  I'd look into talking with them and perhaps giving them a visit.

I checked the site out and it looks like they are not far from me at all. As soon as I am able I will make the short trip over and check out one of their meetings. Thanks.

Start small.  A forge with a six inch diameter with a pass-through back door can be used to make a short sword (I helped my son make an approximately 2' short sword in a forge body made from a coffee can).

Until your strength and skills develop, you're not really going to be smiting truck axles and making awesome stuff on a large scale - you'll be forging leaves, hooks, etc until you build up a basic arsenal of skills.

The typical noob mistake is to think that because someday "I might want to make a sword" that you need to build a four foot long forge with six naturally aspirated burners right now.

The coffee can forge is heated either by a 1/2" burner or a torch (Mike Porter has written about how to rebuild torches on this forum).

The freon can forge is heated usually by a 3/4" burner (try the Frosty T burner, it's an easy build).

The larger propane can size forge is heated either by 2 3/4" burners, one 1" burner, or two 1" burners (depending on what you intend to be makeing).

After that, you're talking about specialized heat treating forges, heat treat ovens, brick pile forges, clamshell forges, yada, yada, yada.

Then there's always coal/coke/charcoal.

Start small, you'll learn a lot, and you won't be wasting fuel while at the steep end of the learning curve.  Once you've made one or two forge bodies, you'll know that it's a rather easy project, so building forge #5 or #6 for a specialized purpose is not so daunting.  I currently have two decommissioned forges (that I may rebuild) a freon can size forge that's my main workhorse, and I'm building a larger forge dedicated to welding.

On 10/27/2016 at 11:12 PM, jcornell said:

Start small.

I am looking to make a small forge. I am wanting a coffee can forge pass through. Make some small gate locks or smash out a small knife an such. Dont need a sward for anything yet. Maybe if the zombies come but not today. LOL 

I had neck fussion surgery in July so I know I wont be doing any large projects any time soon. 

It hurts me to ever suggest larger over smaller first forges, but in this one instance, you should listen closely to what is being suggested. Coffee-can forges are one of my favorite things, but they are the most use for jewelers and modelers. By increasing the size of that first forge up to a two-gallon helium or Freon cylinder, or a half-muffler oval forge, you will gain equipmant that you will NEVER outgrow. You may build larger forges for special use later on, but they won't replace it. Fuel costs money; will hotter means faster, it isn't cheap. When it comes to efficiency nothing trumps small. Also, hotter means a hotter shop:unsure:

There certainly is such a thing as too many tools...for young people. Being forced to move every few years to follow your  career, is just a fact of life for your generation, and it costs big money to do that. Which brings us right back to making that forge small...but not too small. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

It hurts me to ever suggest larger over smaller first forges, but in this one instance, you should listen closely to what is being suggested. Coffee-can forges are one of my favorite things, but they are the most use for jewelers and modelers. By increasing the size of that first forge up to a two-gallon helium or Freon cylinder, or a half-muffler oval forge, you will gain equipmant that you will NEVER outgrow. You may build larger forges for special use later on, but they won't replace it. Fuel costs money; will hotter means faster, it isn't cheap. When it comes to efficiency nothing trumps small. Also, hotter means a hotter shop:unsure:

There certainly is such a thing as too many tools...for young people. Being forced to move every few years to follow your  career, is just a fact of life for your generation, and it costs big money to do that. Which brings us right back to making that forge small...but not too small. 

I have a helium tank from my daughters last birthday. I dont have a coffee can. Was going to but one but that is a good idea. I have to find the materials to do it. I know the answer to this question is here some where but what is best to line it with? That can be bought on line.