I Forge Iron

Forging with Propane

Not to be a NAG ..here is also somthing few know. using a propane forge one needs to wear "Didymium" glasses . it the glasses it has a filter that blocks out the sodium flair/yellowish light "AT 589 NM " =IR+UV .glass blowers also need to use them . it will save your eyes as even a welders mask does not work like these.

Didymium is about 15 years outdated, see pinned post

I have to disagree with you on this one, the only time a propane forge radiates in the same range as sodium is at near welding temperature and didymium blocks the flare color borax emits when it's about ready to go. Glass blowing and torch work require the person to stare at molten glass emitting strongly in the sodium range and it's a strong IR emitter. Long term exposure to IR radiation can cause cataracts and trying to see whats happening when everything is sheathed in glaring yellow gas is near impossible.

And yeah, I have two pair of didymium safety glasses and don't use them at all. The number one rule I drum into students is do NOT stare into the forge it will do IR damage to your eyes over time. When asked about UV I tell them not to stare at the welding arc or the sun, a propane forge no matter how hot is energetic enough to emit UV in any significant way.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

a propane forge no matter how hot is energetic enough to emit UV in any significant way.

Frosty, did you leave out a "not" here?  Should it be:  a propane forge no matter how hot is NOT energetic enough to emit UV in any significant way.

Sorry if I missed something here.

AYE YI YI! I did leave NOT out.

UV is NOT emitted by a propane forge!

Good catch Wayne, thank you.

Frosty The Lucky.

42 minutes ago, Frosty said:

AYE YI YI! I did leave NOT out.

UV is NOT emitted by a propane forge!

Good catch Wayne, thank you.

Frosty The Lucky.

just goes to show that even masters of the forge like Frosty can typo once in a while

thanks for letting us know you are actually human there Frosty :D

Just one little word can sure change the meaning.

When I would prepare a letter or pleading I would re-read it for typos.  If I found one I would correct it then finish the proofing process.  Then I would start all over again looking for any mistakes.  If I found another mistake I would correct it and again proof all the way to the end again, then start all over again.  I would continue doing that until I could read from the beginning to the end not finding any mistakes.  I always felt that if the other attorney was filing sloppy pleadings I had the case won.  On here I don't call out typos or mistakes unless I think that it is really important.

4 hours ago, straycat_74 said:

just goes to show that even masters of the forge like Frosty can typo once in a while

thanks for letting us know you are actually human there Frosty :D

Are you kidding?  A couple days ago he was regaling us with his references to Goldilocks and the seven dwarves...

3 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

Just one little word can sure change the meaning.

When I would prepare a letter or pleading I would re-read it for typos.  If I found one I would correct it then finish the proofing process.  Then I would start all over again looking for any mistakes.  If I found another mistake I would correct it and again proof all the way to the end again, then start all over again.  I would continue doing that until I could read from the beginning to the end not finding any mistakes.  I always felt that if the other attorney was filing sloppy pleadings I had the case won.  On here I don't call out typos or mistakes unless I think that it is really important.

I usually read things through a couple few times before hitting Submit but the mind can see what it expects rather than what's there. It's good to have back up for the times a mistake is more than something to rib me about.

Lou: Goldilocks didn't do any regaling with all 7 dwarves at once, that would have been unbearable!

Frosty The Lucky.